Potassium Nitrate Products

• Thread starter adoado
  • Start date
In summary, using a non stoichiometric mixture of potassium nitrate and sorbitol, hobbyists can achieve a more efficient reaction by adding iron oxide.
adoado
The combination of potassium nitrate and sorbitol and commonly used by hobbyists as a propellant for rocket motors.

The combustion equation is given below:
KNO3.jpg

I have a few very simple questions based on the chemistry of such a reaction.

Firstly, many people do not use stoichiometric quantities of each reagent. Why is this? I thought the idea was to get the 'exact' amounts as to optimize the reaction? Or is this simply optimizing the efficiency of the utilization of the reagents into products?

Secondly, there is an oxygen term there; does this need to be available as a gas? For example, a lot of people seem to add Iron Oxide to this mix, probably to give this oxygen component. My question is, why iron oxide - can anything with an oxygen work?

Thanks for reading,
Adrian

Chemistry news on Phys.org
adoado said:
The combination of potassium nitrate and sorbitol and commonly used by hobbyists as a propellant for rocket motors.

The combustion equation is given below:
KNO3.jpg

I have a few very simple questions based on the chemistry of such a reaction.

Firstly, many people do not use stoichiometric quantities of each reagent. Why is this? I thought the idea was to get the 'exact' amounts as to optimize the reaction? Or is this simply optimizing the efficiency of the utilization of the reagents into products?

Secondly, there is an oxygen term there; does this need to be available as a gas? For example, a lot of people seem to add Iron Oxide to this mix, probably to give this oxygen component. My question is, why iron oxide - can anything with an oxygen work?

Thanks for reading,
Adrian

Non stoichiometric amounts just means some of the reactants will be left over. This could also shift the equilibrium and get a more complete reaction with respect to other reactants.

Yes, standard combustion uses gaseous oxygen. I'm not sure about the iron oxide chemistry. It may act as a catalyst, or alter the actual reaction mechanism.

I doubt iron oxide is the oxygen source, because that would require a large amount, and require some sort of splitting reaction.

1. What is potassium nitrate?

Potassium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, is a chemical compound with the formula KNO3. It is a colorless, crystalline salt that is commonly used in fertilizers, food preservatives, and pyrotechnics.

2. What are some common uses of potassium nitrate products?

Some common uses of potassium nitrate products include as a fertilizer, in the manufacturing of gunpowder and fireworks, as a food preservative, and in toothpaste for its desensitizing properties.

3. Is potassium nitrate safe for consumption?

Yes, when used in appropriate amounts, potassium nitrate is generally considered safe for consumption. However, excessive consumption can lead to health issues such as stomach irritation, nausea, and vomiting.

4. How is potassium nitrate produced?

Potassium nitrate is typically produced through the reaction of nitric acid and potassium hydroxide. It can also be extracted from naturally occurring mineral deposits or through the decomposition of organic materials.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with potassium nitrate products?

Potassium nitrate products can potentially leach into the soil and water sources, leading to an increase in nitrate levels. This can have negative effects on aquatic life and can also contribute to eutrophication. It is important to use these products responsibly and in accordance with local regulations.