Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potato Cannons

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    Does anyone else make potato cannons here?

Ive made a few with hairspray and 2 pneumatic ones. The best one is over 7 feet tall. I just tested it with a reeses peanut butter cup and it shot it through a 1/4" piece of plywood. I was just wondering if anyone else has made potato cannons or anything like it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2
    I've never made one myself but one of my friends made one that you used hairspray with, made lunch time at school a little more fun...haha. That thing really made those potatoes fly.

4. Dec 16, 2006 #3

Mk

Try MAKE magazine's podcast on iTunes. They've had a ton of videos and PDFs on how to make all kinds of them ranging from apples to pumpkins (including potatoes!).

5. Dec 16, 2006 #4
    Im definately going to check out that podcast that sounds awesome. I was going to attempt to make a huge pneumatic potato cannon. The only problem was that my dad flipped when he saw i was shooting wood through plywood. It was so loud he thought it blew up. I have yet to hold this one i leave it clamped down in a clamp because i am unsure of the recoil. I also built a bipod when i try a potato. I have a remote firing system so i dont have to be near either.

6. Dec 16, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a guy here in Oregon who either killed or seriously injured his kid with a potato gun. IIRC it blew-up in his face. I couldn't find the story but I did spot this:

http://www.spudshot.com/page9.html

7. Dec 16, 2006 #6
    I've made several. The best one was a can of LaChoy veggies, wrapped loosely in tin foil. You can blast a entire block with LaChoy mist!

8. Dec 17, 2006 #7
    Hmm. Im suprised they said they arent safe. I read a federal law about them that says that they are safe and legal as long as they shoot potatos. Maybe ill take a little more caution now.

9. Dec 17, 2006 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A federal law stating that using a piece of plastic drainpipe and an unmetered quantity of volatile propellant to fire a hard object weighing anywhere up to a couple of kilograms a few hundred metres in a relatively uncontrolled direction is safe?!

You 'merkins are crazier than I thought!

10. Dec 17, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

merkins.......?

11. Dec 17, 2006 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well that's what your great leader seems to call you anyway...

12. Dec 17, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't have a great leader.

So where do you come up with that? I don't see Bush using this one.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=merkin

13. Dec 17, 2006 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pubic wig thing. But to me, whenever Bush is talking about his populace it sounds like he says "'merkins" rather than "Americans"...

14. Dec 17, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OH, I GET IT!!!

15. Dec 17, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's too bad that Letterman never picked up on that.

16. Dec 17, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

How could you?! :surprised
    Are you feeling okay?

Anyhow, I seriously doubt that anyone outside of PF has ever heard of a 'merkin', let alone knows the definition.
    As for the cannons, 'How Stuff Works' has a really good article about them. According to it, though, some jurisdictions have complete bans on them.

17. Dec 17, 2006 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Legal does not mean safe.

Here in Merca, things remain legal until the appropriate lawsuit is filed. When the time comes that a serious injury results from a hairspray-fired PVC potato cannon, and a successful lawsuit against the hairspray manufacturer nearly bankrupts said company, and the hairspray lobby succesfully pushes through a ban on PVC potato cannons, it remains a lawful passtime.

Perhaps the NRA could block it. Merca is great!

18. Dec 17, 2006 #17
    You 'merkins are crazier than I thought!

Ahahahahahhahahaha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ahehehehehehheahahahhaha

whew:eek:

19. Dec 17, 2006 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, that's why I thought it so strange that the OP asserted that he'd seen a law stating that they were safe!

:biggrin:

20. Dec 17, 2006 #19

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is any such federal law. The best I could find was this: http://science.howstuffworks.com/spud-gun5.htm

21. Dec 17, 2006 #20
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?