1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential above a charged shell

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very long insulating cylindrical shell of radius 6.90 cm carries charge of linear density 8.40 microC/m spread uniformly over its outer surface. Find the potential of a point located 4.4cm above the surface of the shell

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used Gaussian surface to find the electric field created by the shell outside (Q = linear charge density):
    QL/[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] = E*2*pi*d*L,
    where L is length, d is distance to point from the axis of the cylinder.
    The Ls cancel out, rearranging, I got:
    E=[tex]\frac{Q}{2pi*d*\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

I then integrated that to get the potential:
    V=[tex]\frac{Q}{2pi*\epsilon_{0}} \int {(1/d)dd} [/tex]
    The integral's upper limit is d-r, and lower limit is r.
    I got the equation below as a result:
    V=[tex]\frac{Q}{2pi*d*\epsilon_{0}} ln(\frac{d-r}{r})[/tex]

Substituting in the numbers I got V=-6.8*10^4, but that's wrong. Is it my method? Should I slice the cylinder into rings and do V from each one, then integrate the whole thing?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's that extra 1/d doing out front of the integral?:wink:

Why is that?

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    First one: typo, sorry :)

Second one: now that I think about, I'm not sure. I was thinking of using distance from the cylinder's axis and then r would be the smallest so that you're still on the outside (well, surface) and d-r would be anything beyond that. Should those limits be d and 0 instead?..

EDIT: I got it! Instead of using d as distance to center of the cylinder, I used d as distance to surface and for gaussian surface I had:
    E=Q/(epsilon*2*pi*(d+r))
    And integrated taht with upper limit being 'd' and lower being 0. And it worked! :D Thanks so much.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook