Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Potential and electric field.

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Charge is uniformly distributed along a circular plate (radius R). surface charge is [tex]\sigma[/tex].
    a) Determine the electric potential on the plates axis distance x from the center of the plate.
    b) Calculate the electric field on the axis distant >x from the center of the plate.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00132/3756420.jpg [Broken]
    http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00540/3756421.jpg [Broken]

I couldn't get the E field any "cleaner" and in a I wasn't sore about the substitution of A (i.e. can I do it like that). fire my methods correct?

And don't mind my handwriting, MS Paint isn't that responsive.

Edit: Holy crap! Can I resize the images?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Kruum! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ and a pi: π and an epsilon: ε and a sigma: σ :wink:)

In a), yes that's the way to get dA (but haven't you lost the 2 in 2πr dr?);

but your integral is wrong …

you should be able to integrate that just by looking at it, but if you can't, try susbtituting u = √(x2 + r2) :wink:

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    Thanks for having such fast fingers, tiny-tim! :biggrin:

You can call me stupid, but isn't the area of a circle [tex] \pi r^2[/tex], hence my [tex] \pi rdr[/tex]. So wouldn't [tex]2 \pi rdr[/tex] be the volume of a sylinder?

I can't believe it! I missed the minus... And the 2 should be 8.

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is :smile:

but you want the area of a ring, of thickness dr :wink:
    uhh? what minus? :confused:

6. Mar 8, 2009 #5
    Of course! Thanks...

Nevermind... I've been recapping too much, I can't think clearly anymore! :redface: I rememberd that s=√x2-r2.

But that electric field equation cannot be simplified?

Need... to... take... a... break...! :zzz:

7. Mar 8, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like s=√x2+r2 to me …

anyway, try that substitution I mentioned :smile:

8. Mar 8, 2009 #7
    Isn't it [tex] \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} \int_0^R \frac{r}{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}dr= \frac{ \sigma }{4 \epsilon _0} ln( \frac{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}{x})[/tex]

9. Mar 8, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope!

10. Mar 8, 2009 #9
    Okay, now I'm completely lost! Can you point out where the error is? I've been using the fact that [tex] \int \frac{f'}{f}=ln(f)+C[/tex]. There is an ln in the answer, right?

11. Mar 8, 2009 #10
    I used the substitution method and got [tex] \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} \int_0^R \frac{r}{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}dr= \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} ln( \frac{ \sqrt{x^2+R^2}}{x})[/tex].

12. Mar 8, 2009 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, no ln …

hmm … ∫2r dr/(x2 + r2) = ln(x2 + r2) …

(and anyway ln(√(x2 + r2)/x) = (1/2)ln(x2 + r2) - lnx)

what's your f? :confused:

13. Mar 8, 2009 #12
    Ignore that. So there's no ln in the answer? I'm just too tired to think anymore...

14. Mar 8, 2009 #13

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

get some sleep :zzz: …

15. Mar 8, 2009 #14
    Looks like some food and a look at my maths book helped clear my mind... Now I get from the integral [tex] \frac{ \sigma}{2 \epsilon _0}( \sqrt{x^2+R^2}-x)[/tex]. So the E field would be [tex] \frac{ \sigma}{2 \epsilon _0x}( \sqrt{x^2+R^2}-x)[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook