Potential and electric field.

In summary, the problem involves a circular plate with a uniform distribution of charge. The electric potential at a given distance from the center of the plate is calculated, and the resulting integral is found to be incorrect. A substitution method is suggested and an answer is given for the electric potential. The error is identified and the correct equation for the electric field is determined.
Kruum

Homework Statement

Charge is uniformly distributed along a circular plate (radius R). surface charge is [tex]\sigma[/tex].
a) Determine the electric potential on the plates axis distance x from the center of the plate.
b) Calculate the electric field on the axis distant >x from the center of the plate.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00132/3756420.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00540/3756421.jpg

I couldn't get the E field any "cleaner" and in a I wasn't sore about the substitution of A (i.e. can I do it like that). fire my methods correct?

And don't mind my handwriting, MS Paint isn't that responsive.

Edit: Holy crap! Can I resize the images?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kruum said:
I couldn't get the E field any "cleaner" and in a I wasn't sore about the substitution of A (i.e. can I do it like that). fire my methods correct?

Hi Kruum! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ and a pi: π and an epsilon: ε and a sigma: σ :wink:)

In a), yes that's the way to get dA (but haven't you lost the 2 in 2πr dr?);

but your integral is wrong …

you should be able to integrate that just by looking at it, but if you can't, try susbtituting u = √(x2 + r2) :wink:

Thanks for having such fast fingers, tiny-tim! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
In a), yes that's the way to get dA (but haven't you lost the 2 in 2πr dr?);

You can call me stupid, but isn't the area of a circle [tex] \pi r^2[/tex], hence my [tex] \pi rdr[/tex]. So wouldn't [tex]2 \pi rdr[/tex] be the volume of a sylinder?

but your integral is wrong …

I can't believe it! I missed the minus... And the 2 should be 8.

Kruum said:
You can call me stupid, but isn't the area of a circle [tex] \pi r^2[/tex], hence my [tex] \pi rdr[/tex].

Yes it is :smile:

but you want the area of a ring, of thickness dr :wink:
I can't believe it! I missed the minus...

uhh? what minus? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Yes it is :smile:

but you want the area of a ring, of thickness dr :wink:

Of course! Thanks...

uhh? what minus? :confused:

Nevermind... I've been recapping too much, I can't think clearly anymore! :redface: I rememberd that s=√x2-r2.

But that electric field equation cannot be simplified?

Need... to... take... a... break...! :zzz:

Kruum said:
Nevermind... I've been recapping too much, I can't think clearly anymore! :redface: I rememberd that s=√x2-r2.

Looks like s=√x2+r2 to me …

anyway, try that substitution I mentioned :smile:

tiny-tim said:
anyway, try that substitution I mentioned

Isn't it [tex] \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} \int_0^R \frac{r}{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}dr= \frac{ \sigma }{4 \epsilon _0} ln( \frac{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}{x})[/tex]

Kruum said:
Isn't it [tex] \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} \int_0^R \frac{r}{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}dr= \frac{ \sigma }{4 \epsilon _0} ln( \frac{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}{x})[/tex]

Nope!

Okay, now I'm completely lost! Can you point out where the error is? I've been using the fact that [tex] \int \frac{f'}{f}=ln(f)+C[/tex]. There is an ln in the answer, right?

I used the substitution method and got [tex] \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} \int_0^R \frac{r}{ \sqrt{x^2+r^2}}dr= \frac{ \sigma }{2 \epsilon _0} ln( \frac{ \sqrt{x^2+R^2}}{x})[/tex].

Kruum said:
Okay, now I'm completely lost! Can you point out where the error is? I've been using the fact that [tex] \int \frac{f'}{f}=ln(f)+C[/tex]. There is an ln in the answer, right?

no, no ln …

hmm … ∫2r dr/(x2 + r2) = ln(x2 + r2) …

(and anyway ln(√(x2 + r2)/x) = (1/2)ln(x2 + r2) - lnx)

what's your f? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
no, no ln …

hmm … ∫2r dr/(x2 + r2) = ln(x2 + r2) …

(and anyway ln(√(x2 + r2)/x) = (1/2)ln(x2 + r2) - lnx)

what's your f? :confused:

Ignore that. So there's no ln in the answer? I'm just too tired to think anymore...

get some sleep :zzz: …

Looks like some food and a look at my maths book helped clear my mind... Now I get from the integral [tex] \frac{ \sigma}{2 \epsilon _0}( \sqrt{x^2+R^2}-x)[/tex]. So the E field would be [tex] \frac{ \sigma}{2 \epsilon _0x}( \sqrt{x^2+R^2}-x)[/tex]

What is potential?

Potential is a measure of the energy that a particle or system of particles has due to its position or configuration. In the context of electric field, it refers to the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another in the field.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that is created by electrically charged particles. It describes the force that a charged particle would experience if placed at a certain point in space.

How are potential and electric field related?

Potential and electric field are closely related. The electric field is the gradient of the potential, meaning that it is the rate of change of potential with respect to distance. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential.

What is the unit of measurement for potential and electric field?

The unit of measurement for potential is volts (V), while the unit for electric field is volts per meter (V/m). This reflects the fact that potential is a measure of energy per unit charge, while electric field is a measure of force per unit charge.

How is electric field calculated?

Electric field is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. This can be represented mathematically as E = F/q, where E is electric field, F is force, and q is charge. In some cases, the electric field may also be calculated using Coulomb's law, which takes into account the distance between charges and the permittivity of the medium.