1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential and kinetic energy

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The U of a 4kg object is given by U= 3x^2-x^3 for x smaller than or equal to 3. U is equal to 0 for all numbers larger than 3. If the total energy of the object is 12J what is its speed at 2 meters?

2. Relevant equations
    K(x)=E-u(x) E=mechanical energy
    K(x)=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems like i would plug 2 into the u equation and get the value of U at that particular moment, then use the E, which would be 12??? and subtract the U from it.
    I ended up with the answer 2m/s but I could have sworn doing something with integrals for a problem similar to this so it seems like this would be too easy.

Any advice?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    No, your approach and answer are correct. In class, you may have used an integral to determine the function for the potential from a given function for the force...make any sense?

Another idea is to graph your potential function U(x). Then draw the line for your energy, E = 12J. The difference between E and U(x) is the kinetic energy at position x. If E < U(x), then the object cannot be located at this position, since the kinetic energy would be of negative value.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks you very much Bufford,
    I remember when we used integrals now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?