1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Barrier

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the transmission and reflection coefficients for:
    [tex]V(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    V_0, & -a\leq x\leq a\\
    0, & elsewhere
    \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi+V\psi=E\psi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have successfully got the solution for:
    [tex]E=V_0[/tex]
    and
    [tex]E>V_0[/tex]
    But I am having trouble with
    [tex]E<V_0[/tex]
    Here's my attempt:
    First, I denoted the left of the barrier as region I, within the barrier as region II, and to the right of the barrier as region III.
    Rearranging the schrodinger Equation I get:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi_{I}=\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}(E)\psi_{I}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi_{II}=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0-E)\psi_{II}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi_{III}=\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}(E)\psi_{III}[/tex]
    The solutions are:
    [tex]\psi_{I}=Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}[/tex]
    [tex]\psi_{II}=Ce^{-lx}+De^{lx}[/tex]
    [tex]\psi_{I}=Fe^{ikx}[/tex]
    where:
    [tex]k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex]
    [tex]l=\frac{\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}[/tex]
    The -ikx term omitted since there's assumed to be no incoming wave from +x-direction.
    Applying the boundary conditions:
    [tex]\psi_{I}(-a)=\psi_{II}(-a)\Rightarrow Ae^{-ika}+Be^{ika}=Ce^{la}+De^{-la} \Rightarrow (1)[/tex]

[tex]\left.\begin{matrix}
    \frac{\partial \psi_{I}}{\partial x}
    \end{matrix}\right|_{x=-a}=\left.\begin{matrix}
    \frac{\partial \psi_{II}}{\partial x}
    \end{matrix}\right|_{x=-a}\Rightarrow ik(Ae^{-ika}-Be^{ika})=l(-Ce^{la}+De^{-la})\Rightarrow (2)[/tex]

[tex]\psi_{II}(a)=\psi_{III}(a)\Rightarrow Ce^{-la}+De^{la}=Fe^{ika}\Rightarrow (3)[/tex]

[tex]\left.\begin{matrix}
    \frac{\partial \psi_{II}}{\partial x}
    \end{matrix}\right|_{x=a}=\left.\begin{matrix}
    \frac{\partial \psi_{III}}{\partial x}
    \end{matrix}\right|_{x=a}\Rightarrow l(-Ce^{-la}+De^{la})=ikFe^{ika}\Rightarrow (4)[/tex]

From (3) we have:

[tex]C=Fe^{ika}e^la-De{2la}[/tex]

Putting that into (4) we get:

[tex]D=\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{-la}[/tex]

From (3) we also have:

[tex]D=Fe^{ika}e^-{la}-Ce^{-2la}[/tex]

Putting that into (4) we now get:

[tex]C=\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{la}[/tex]

Rearranging (2) we get:

[tex] Ae^{-ika}-Be^{ika}=\frac{il}{k}(De^{-la}-Ce^{la})[/tex]

Summing the equation above with (1) we get::

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Ce^{la}+De^{-la}-\frac{il}{k}(De^{-la}-Ce^{la})=Ce^{la}(1+\frac{il}{k})+De^{-la}(1-\frac{il}{k})[/tex]

Now we put in the the C and D that we got from playing with (3) and (4) before and get:

[tex]2Ae^-{ika}=\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{la}e^{la}(1+\frac{il}{k})+\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{-la}e^{-la}(1-\frac{il}{k})[/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [\frac{1}{2} (1-\frac{ik}{l})(1+\frac{il}{k}) e^{2la} +\frac{1}{2} (1+\frac{ik}{l})(1-\frac{il}{k}) e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [\frac{1}{2} (1+\frac{il}{k}-\frac{ik}{l}+1)e^{2la}+\frac{1}{2} (1-\frac{il}{k}+\frac{ik}{l}+1)e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [\frac{1}{2} (2+ i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl})e^{2la}+\frac{1}{2} (2-i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl} )e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [e^{2la}+ i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl}\frac{1}{2} e^{2la}+e^{-2la} -\frac{1}{2}i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl} e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [(e^{2la}+e^{-2la})+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl})(\frac{1}{2} e^{2la} -\frac{1}{2} e^{-2la} )\right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [2cosh(2la)+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl})sinh(2la)\right ][/tex]

[tex]F=\frac{Ae^{-2ika}}{cosh(2la)+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})sinh(2la)}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{\left | F \right |^2}{\left | A \right |^2}=\frac{e^{-2ika}}{cosh(2la)+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})sinh(2la)}\frac{e^{2ika}}{cosh(2la)-( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})sinh(2la)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{cosh^2(2la)+( \frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})^2sinh^2(2la)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1+sinh^2(2la)+\frac{1}{4}( \frac{l^2}{k^2}+\frac{k^2}{l^2}-2)sinh^2(2la)}[/tex]

I am now stuck... I can't get the sinh(2la) that I wanted. Did I do snmething wrong?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everything look fine to me (although you could simplify [itex]\frac{l^2}{k^2}+\frac{k^2}{l^2}[/itex] significantly)....do you know what your final answer is supposed to look like?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook