1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential barriers, etc.

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    New some help with some problems. I have tried them an listed what I have done so far...

1. A beam of electrons is sent along the x axis from - with kinetic energy E=7.5eV. The beam encounters a potential barrier of height V'=1eV and width 2a=1.2nm.
    What fraction of the incident beam is reflected? [Hint: Assume E>>V0]
    I found k and q and from these found |R|^2, but have had no success in getting the correct answer. Am I supposed to do something after I find |R|^2?

2. Suppose a wave function within a barrier is approximately proportional to e-kx. The
    probability that a particle will penetrate a barrier of thickness 2a is 0.010. What is the
    probability of penetrating a barrier that is twice as thick?
    Not even sure where to start here... I know that my thickness will now be 4a, but what now?

3. Suppose electrons with E= 10.0 eV approach a potential barrier of height 2.0 eV.
    a. Suppose electrons with E= 10.0 eV approach a potential barrier of height 2.0 eV. in nanometers

b. For what minimum barrier thickness is there no reflection? in nanometers
    Not sure where to start. I think i need to solve for 2aq=n*pi for a and for b where n*pi/2.

I am not really looking for the answers, but how to solve them as there is not much help in the text.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2006 #2
    Can you show us your work on question 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?