Calculating Potential Difference Between Parallel Wires with Charge Densities

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the potential difference between two parallel wires with charge densities +λ and -λ, placed a distance d away from each other. The wires are assumed to be very long and the d>>a assumption is used to simplify the calculation. The conversation also mentions using Gauss's law to find the electric field and integrating to find the potential difference. It is clarified that the wires are parallel to each other and the potential difference is equal to the negative path integral of the electric field. It is also mentioned that the net potential at the two wire edges should be used to find the potential difference and that the charges on the wires should cancel each other out.
pidoctor314
Two wires (radius a) with charge densities +λ and -λ are placed parellel to on another a distance d away. Find an expression for the potential difference between the wires and simplify with the assumption the d>>a.
From that I need to find the potential difference at the midpoint between the two wires.

I have figured out the E field and potential for one wire (the first part of the problem). For outside one wire, E= λ /((2pi)(eo)(r). I'm not really sure how to approach this - find the E field of this first?) Any tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want the assumption d<<a so that you can use Gauss's law and treat them as parallel plates. Yes, you would want to find the E field first, then go to potential, and then use the definition of capacitance.

The page definately says d>>a. Perhaps a typo?
This is the work I have so far...anyone mind telling me if I'm on the right track or not?

V(on -) = [λ/(2pi)(e0)] x ln[x/a]
V(on +) = [-λ/(2pi)(e0)] x ln[(d-x)/a]
then add them together?

Ohhh, I think I see the picture now. Sorry, I thought it was that there was some gap between two wires butted up against each other. Instead, they are two wires above and below each other, some distance away?

Are the wires very long? In other words, can we exploit Gauss' Law, or do we have to do the integrals? It looks like you have used Gauss's law, so I assume it is fine to assume "very long."

So then we just want to use

[tex]V = - \int \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l}[/tex]

So, yes, to get the total field E you want to add the two together. You will see that they cancel outside the gap and add inside the gap.

Oh wait, you added the potentials, no you don't want to do that. You want to get the total electric field, and then do the integral.

the wire is "very long", and they are parellel wires...
so I can use Gauss's law for finding E?

Yes, you can use Gauss' law. You already said the result of Gauss' law in your first post, so just use that. Then you need to integrate, which is where the d>>a comes into play.

Electric potential is a scalar quantity (U/q), and it is simply equal to negative the path integral of the electric field. The functions for electric field are continuous at the outer edge of the wires, so you simply have to find the net potential at the two wire edges and use that to find the potential difference. If one rod is +L (L being landa) and the other is -L, then they should technically counter each other.

pidoctor 314, you wouldn't happen to be taking a Physics 217 take-home final exam at Cornell, would you? Keep in mind that your email address is linked to this forum account.

What is the Potential between Two Wires?

The potential between two wires is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that exists between two parallel wires. It is a measure of the force that would be exerted on a unit charge if it were placed between the wires.

How is the Potential between Two Wires calculated?

The potential between two wires is calculated using the formula V = kλ/2πd, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge per unit length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What factors affect the Potential between Two Wires?

The potential between two wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the charge per unit length of the wires, and the Coulomb's constant. Other factors such as the material of the wires, the presence of other nearby charges, and the shape of the wires may also have an impact.

How does the Potential between Two Wires relate to electric fields?

The potential between two wires is directly related to the electric field between the wires. The electric field is the gradient of the potential, meaning that the potential decreases as the distance between the wires increases. This relationship is described by the equation E = -dV/dx, where E is the electric field, V is the potential, and x is the distance between the wires.

What are some real-world applications of the Potential between Two Wires?

The potential between two wires is an important concept in the design and operation of electrical circuits. It is also used in electrostatic applications such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometers. It is also relevant in the study of magnetism and electromagnetic fields.