1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential central field

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to find the motion of a body in a central potential field with potential given by:

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are positive constants.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the fact that energy and angular momentum are conserved in this field, and after separating variables in the equation for [tex]\dot{\vec{r}}[/tex] I got an integral of the form: ([tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle)

[tex]\phi = \int{\frac{dr}{\sqrt{Ar^{3}-Br^{2}+C}}}[/tex]

where A, B, C are constants dependent on mass, energy and angular momentum of the body.

Is there a simpler method to find the motion [tex]r(\phi)[/tex], without having to calculate such awful integrals? And if not, how to calculate it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2
    Yes, I think there is. Note that you have two differential equations: one first order and one second order (the Lagrange equation). Hint: use the second order. But since you are interested in the shape, you need to change from time derivatives to derivatives wrt [itex]\phi[/itex]. Question: what is the relationship between [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] and [itex]r'(\phi)[/itex]? Answering this question will lead you to a differential equation for your trajectory.
  4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    Could you be more specific? I don't see how we can get beyond what I've written above using the second order equation.
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4
    You need to use the fact that [itex]\dot{r} = \dot{\phi}r'(\phi)[/itex]. Use this to eliminate all derivatives wrt time in your Lagrange equation. But before you do, what is [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?