1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference battery

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can I measure the potential difference across two batteries? For example, if I put the batteries end to end, so the negative end of one touches the positive end of the other. And lets say both batteries have 3 volts and lets denote point A to B as the point from one battery to the other.

2. Relevant equations

##\Delta V = -\int^b_a\vec{E} \dot\ \vec{dL}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So if the length of both batteries is 5 cm then do I put a point C in the middle of the two batteries and measure the potential difference separately from point A to point C then from point C to point A?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Physical size (length) is pretty much unrelated to the potential difference across a battery. Cell potential depends upon the chemistry, while current capability and capacity scale with the volume of the cell.

Take a look at the Wikipedia entry on battery sizes.

"Measure" implies a physical process of determining potential difference. In that case one simply takes a handy voltmeter, places its leads across the desired locations, and takes the reading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted