Potential difference between two points homework

In summary: PS (I) = VOLTS (E) / RESISTANCE (R) In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy transfer and dissipation in a circuit involving a wire of resistance 5 ohms connected to a battery with an emf of 2.0 V and an internal resistance of 1 ohm. The equations used for calculating energy consumption in the resistor and battery are equivalent and can be simplified using the formula P = dE/dt = I2R. The key is to find the current, which can be determined using the formula I = E/R.
spottedcow913
We worked out this problem in class and I'm still confused:
A wire of resistance 5 ohms is connected to a battery whose emf is 2.0 V and whose internal resistance is 1 ohm. In 120 seconds, how much energy is (a) transferred from chemical form in the battery, (b) dissipated as thermal energy in the wire, and (c) dissipated as thermal energy in the battery?

In part a we used

U=E^2(time)/(r+R)

in part b

U=i^2R(time)

if they both are energy and thus in joules, why do we need to use different equations and what does this help us do.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
spottedcow913 said:
We worked out this problem in class and I'm still confused:
A wire of resistance 5 ohms is connected to a battery whose emf is 2.0 V and whose internal resistance is 1 ohm. In 120 seconds, how much energy is (a) transferred from chemical form in the battery, (b) dissipated as thermal energy in the wire, and (c) dissipated as thermal energy in the battery?

In part a we used

U=E^2(time)/(r+R)

in part b

U=i^2R(time)

if they both are energy and thus in joules, why do we need to use different equations and what does this help us do.
The key is to find the current.

You do not need to use different equations. They are equivalent. You can use P = dE/dt = I2R to determine the power consumption in the resistor and in the battery. (Multiply power by time to get the energy consumed).

AM

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the force that drives electric current.

How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit charge from one point to another by the amount of charge being moved. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current (I) by the resistance (R) in the circuit, using the equation V = IR.

What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb. It is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

What is the significance of potential difference in a circuit?

Potential difference is essential for the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is what drives the electrons to move from a higher potential to a lower potential. Without potential difference, there would be no movement of charge and no electrical energy can be transferred.

How does potential difference affect the brightness of a light bulb?

The potential difference across a light bulb affects its brightness. The higher the potential difference, the brighter the light bulb will be, as more electrical energy is being transferred and converted into light energy. Similarly, a lower potential difference will result in a dimmer light bulb.