Determine the difference in potential between A and B

In summary, Kirchhoff's voltage law can be used to find the potential difference between two points if there is a continuous path between them.
Cade

Homework Statement

Determine the difference in potential between A and B.
5ecB5.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's rules for current (loop, junction), V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the currents through the resistors:
12 - 3.9a - 1.2b - 9.8a = 0 (loop rule)
12 - 3.9a - 6.7c - 9 - 9.8a = 0 (loop rule)
a = b + c (junction rule)
c = -1.0295 & b = 1.75196 & a = 0.722456

6.7 ohm resistor has 1.02 A counterclockwise
3.9 ohm and 9.8 ohm resistors have 0.72 A clockwise
1.2 ohm resistor has 1.7 A clockwise.

What do I do from here? I know that if A and B were in series, the difference in potential between them would be a drop which equals the potential differences across each component between them in series, but this is in parallel, and so I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kirchhoff's voltage law works for any components along a continuous path. If you can trace a path from B to A and can add up all the voltage changes along the way, you're done!

There is a 1.2 ohm resistor on one path between A and B, and the current through it is 1.7 A, so the potential difference across the resistor is 2.04 V. Is this the difference in potential between A and B? The correct answer is 2.2 V.

Cade said:
There is a 1.2 ohm resistor on one path between A and B, and the current through it is 1.7 A, so the potential difference across the resistor is 2.04 V. Is this the difference in potential between A and B? The correct answer is 2.2 V.

Your method is correct.

If you keep a few more decimal places in your intermediate values you should find that the voltage is a bit higher than what you got (although not quite 2.2 V).

You could also try the same thing for other paths between A and B.

1.2 ohms * 1.75196 A = 2.102352 V

Still coming up short. :smile:

Using the other available path,
-6.7*1.0295 + 9 = 2.102352 V

Hmm... I suppose it's close enough.

Cade said:
1.2 ohms * 1.75196 A = 2.102352 V

Still coming up short. :smile:

Using the other available path,
-6.7*1.0295 + 9 = 2.102352 V

Hmm... I suppose it's close enough.

Not only is it close enough, 2.1V is the correct answer! Sometimes books can be, shall we say, not entirely correct.

Got it, thanks for your help. :smile:

1. What is the difference in potential between A and B?

The difference in potential between A and B is the numerical value that represents the difference in electric potential energy between the two points. It is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is the difference in potential between A and B calculated?

The difference in potential between A and B is calculated by subtracting the potential at point B from the potential at point A. This can be represented by the equation ΔV = VB - VA, where ΔV is the difference in potential.

3. What factors affect the difference in potential between A and B?

The difference in potential between A and B is affected by the distance between the two points, the amount and distribution of electric charge, and the material between the points (known as the dielectric constant).

4. Why is it important to determine the difference in potential between A and B?

Knowing the difference in potential between A and B is important because it helps us understand the flow of electric current and the behavior of electric fields. It also allows us to calculate the work done by the electric field on a charge when it moves from point A to point B.

5. How can the difference in potential between A and B be measured?

The difference in potential between A and B can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the voltage or electric potential difference between two points. It is typically connected in parallel to the two points to measure the difference in potential between them.