Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference of poles

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    If a battery has 6V of voltage, this means that P+ – P = 6V or that P – P+ = 6V ?

Being:
    P+ = electric potential of the positive pole
    P = electric potential of the negative pole

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2014 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The first one. The potential on the positive terminal is greater than the potential on the negative terminal by 6V.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. Jun 8, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

What if it was the other way? Will it have a Negative potential difference then? :eek:

5. Jun 8, 2014 #4
    In the life exist a lot of "if"...

if the oposite charges repel itself...
    if the equal charges attract itself...

We would have another world xD

6. Jun 8, 2014 #5
    Or as I once heard someone say, If my father was a woman I would have two mothers.

7. Jun 8, 2014 #6
    And about who is created by 2 lesbians, who will the mother? kkkkkkkkkkkkk

8. Jun 8, 2014 #7
    Some people says that the potential difference U is not ΔP (P = electric potential) but yes U = - ΔP.

If the current (real) leaves the negative pole for go to positive pole, this means that the final pole is the positive and the initial pole is negative. By definition, ΔP = Pfinal - Pinitial = P+ - P- = U. For me, U = +ΔP.

9. Jun 8, 2014 #8

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you put the voltmeter leads on + to -, and - to + it will read -6 V. The other way around it reads +6V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook