Potential difference

In summary, the potential difference between point C and A is equal to the difference between the potential at point B and A. Since the work required to move the charge from A to B is negative, V_B is less than V_A and can be calculated using the formula V_B = 1.13x10^-13.
BuBbLeS01
Potential difference please help!

Homework Statement

It takes 3.3 μJ of work to move a 34.26 nC charge from point A to B. It takes -3.3 μJ of work to move the charge from C to B. What is the potential difference VC-VA?

Homework Equations

Uel = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't I just find the difference between A and C?
Vc = Uelc * qc = 1.13x10^-13
And Va would be the same so I know I am not understanding this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's do this in pieces.

Since only potential differences are physically significant, you can set the potential at zero at any point you want. Let's set [itex]V_A=0[/itex]. Since it takes negative work to move a charge from A to B, is [itex]V_B[/itex] less than, greater than, or equal to [itex]V_A[/itex]? Can you compute [itex]V_B[/itex]?

I can provide some clarification on potential difference. Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is defined as the work done per unit charge in moving a charge from one point to another.

In this problem, we are given the work done (3.3 μJ) and the charge (34.26 nC) to move the charge from point A to B. Using the equation Uel = qV, we can rearrange to solve for V, which gives us a potential difference of 96.27 V between points A and B.

For the second part of the problem, we are given the work done (-3.3 μJ) to move the same charge from point C to B. This work is negative because it is in the opposite direction of the electric field. Therefore, the potential difference between points C and B is also -96.27 V.

The potential difference between points C and A (VC-VA) can be calculated by subtracting the potential difference between points C and B from the potential difference between points A and B. This gives us a potential difference of 192.54 V between points C and A.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of potential difference. Remember, it is important to consider the direction and sign of the work done when calculating potential difference.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is also known as voltage.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential energy between the two points.

What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. One volt is equal to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge.

What is the relationship between potential difference and electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current, meaning that an increase in potential difference will result in an increase in current flow. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is potential difference, I is current, and R is resistance.

What factors affect potential difference?

The factors that affect potential difference include the material and length of a wire, the type of circuit, and the presence of other components such as resistors and batteries. Additionally, the amount of charge and the distance between two points also affect potential difference.