Potential difference question - Immediate

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of emf, internal resistance, and terminal voltage in a circuit. The question is posed about the direction of current in the battery, and there is a clarification about the convention used in the circuit. The solution is found to be 8.0A by considering the voltage between points a and b.
MathewsMD
The emf and internal resistance are shows in the attached image. When the terminal voltage, Vba, is equal to -40V, what is the current through the battery, including its direction?

Solution:

VT = emf - iR (general)

In this case, VT = 40V, when considering VT = Vab = Vb - Va

VT = Vext - 28V - i(1.5Ω)

Now, I'm not entirely certain of where I went wrong, but don't seem to know much about the current besides that it is going from a to b in the cell.

The solution shows the answer is 8.0A but I can only get that if I do 0 = 40V - 28V - i(1.5Ω) but I don't quite see how you can apply the 40V inside (using Kirchoff's loop rule) if that's the terminal voltage instead of the applied voltage from an external source. Any clarification on what I am doing wrong or what I should do, and clarification on VT would be helpful.

This is what I quickly used as a reference: http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb...d_magnetism/dc_circuits/terminal_voltage.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.50.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.50.43 PM.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
Vba : is A positive compared to B, or vice-versa?

rude man said:
Vba : is A positive compared to B, or vice-versa?

All I'm given is what I have given you. Since Vba = -40V, Vab = 40V and I was under the impression then that b is the + side and a is -. Am I mistaken?

Also, when they say current goes from a to b, do they mean in the cell itself or outside? If it is outside, then this makes sense and I think they are trying to say then that it is a that is + and b that is -. But any explanation for how one would come to that conclusion simply given everything I have given you would be great! Thanks!

Vab = Vb - Va

Not correct.
VT = Vext - 28V - i(1.5Ω)

This doesn't look right.

EDIT
You'll find it easier if you picture b as 0v, and making every other point positive wrt end b.

The voltage between b and a is the terminal voltage.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Not correct.

This doesn't look right.

EDIT
You'll find it easier if you picture b as 0v, and making every other point positive wrt end b.

The voltage between b and a is the terminal voltage.

Oh, so Vba = Va - Vb? If so, that's where I went wrong. I just don't know why I've haven't up on this convention...

MathewsMD said:
Oh, so Vba = Va - Vb?
No.

Vba is read as "the voltage of b wrt a".

Imagine charging a 28 V battery using a 40 V source.
If Vba = - 40 V, Vab is 40 V. 28 of those are over the battery, the remainder over the 1.5 Ω. There is only 1 current and it's going all round.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points. It is the driving force that causes electric current to flow.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. It is typically measured between two points in an electric circuit.

What causes potential difference?

Potential difference is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges. This separation creates an imbalance of electric potential energy, which results in a flow of electric current.

What is the relationship between potential difference and electric current?

There is a direct relationship between potential difference and electric current. The higher the potential difference, the greater the flow of electric current.

How does potential difference affect resistance?

According to Ohm's law, potential difference is directly proportional to resistance. This means that as potential difference increases, so does resistance. This relationship helps regulate the flow of electric current in a circuit.