1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference question

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    Potential difference question....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton (mass = 1.67 10-27 kg, charge = 1.60 10-19 C) moves from point A to point B under the influence of an electrostatic force only. At point A the proton moves with a speed of 60 km/s. At point B the speed of the proton is 80 km/s. Determine the potential difference Image .

2. Relevant equations
    Vb-Va = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) +15v
    b) -15V
    c) -33V
    d) +33V
    e) -20V

im stumped with this one....any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2

Gold Member

delE = q(delV)

Change in E(energy) = charge*change in V(potential)

for starters
  4. May 25, 2007 #3

Gold Member

actually, I don't get near any of the answers there. Don't take my word for it, let me look into it more
  5. May 25, 2007 #4

Gold Member

ok, I did get within .4 of one of the answers there (i wasn't paying attention to units when I calculated last time)

so that way should work, methinx.
  6. May 25, 2007 #5
    i get within .4 of the answers a well

i guess they want you to round them off

now decide which is right... a or b
  7. May 25, 2007 #6

Gold Member

if you did it right, you should get either a or b, not both. They are 30 units apart.
  8. May 25, 2007 #7
    I get point b about -14.6 volts relative to point a. Can't tell from the question whether that means answer a or b is correct. Probably b :uhh:
  9. May 27, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't bother doing any calculations, but I can tell you the sign of the answer. Think of it this way: the final velocity was greater than the initial velocity, right? So the particle's kinetic energy increased. It moved under the influence of a conservative force solely, so the increase in kinetic energy came at the expense of a(n) ______________(increase/decrease) in potential energy. As a result, considering that the charge is positive, its final electric potential is ______________ (larger/smaller) than its initial electric potential. Therefore, the change in electric potential between the two points (final minus initial) is ______________ (positive/negative).

Fill in the blanks....:tongue2: :devil:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?