Potential difference question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the potential difference between two points for a proton moving under the influence of an electrostatic force. The possible answers given are +15V, -15V, -33V, +33V, and -20V. The participants in the conversation come up with different solutions, with some getting within 0.4 units of the given answers. The conversation also includes hints and strategies for solving the problem, such as using the equation Change in E(energy) = charge*change in V(potential) and considering the relationship between kinetic and potential energy.
suldaman
Potential difference question...

Homework Statement

A proton (mass = 1.67 10-27 kg, charge = 1.60 10-19 C) moves from point A to point B under the influence of an electrostatic force only. At point A the proton moves with a speed of 60 km/s. At point B the speed of the proton is 80 km/s. Determine the potential difference Image .

Homework Equations

Vb-Va = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) +15v
b) -15V
c) -33V
d) +33V
e) -20V

im stumped with this one...any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
delE = q(delV)

OR

Change in E(energy) = charge*change in V(potential)

for starters

actually, I don't get near any of the answers there. Don't take my word for it, let me look into it more

ok, I did get within .4 of one of the answers there (i wasn't paying attention to units when I calculated last time)

so that way should work, methinx.

Pythagorean said:
ok, I did get within .4 of one of the answers there (i wasn't paying attention to units when I calculated last time)

so that way should work, methinx.

i get within .4 of the answers a well

i guess they want you to round them off

now decide which is right... a or b

stunner5000pt said:
i get within .4 of the answers a well

i guess they want you to round them off

now decide which is right... a or b

if you did it right, you should get either a or b, not both. They are 30 units apart.

Pythagorean said:
if you did it right, you should get either a or b, not both. They are 30 units apart.
I get point b about -14.6 volts relative to point a. Can't tell from the question whether that means answer a or b is correct. Probably b :uhh:

I didn't bother doing any calculations, but I can tell you the sign of the answer. Think of it this way: the final velocity was greater than the initial velocity, right? So the particle's kinetic energy increased. It moved under the influence of a conservative force solely, so the increase in kinetic energy came at the expense of a(n) ______________(increase/decrease) in potential energy. As a result, considering that the charge is positive, its final electric potential is ______________ (larger/smaller) than its initial electric potential. Therefore, the change in electric potential between the two points (final minus initial) is ______________ (positive/negative).

Fill in the blanks...:tongue2: :devil:

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force that causes electric charges to flow from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference different from electric current?

While potential difference is the driving force behind electric current, electric current refers to the flow of electric charge. In other words, potential difference is the cause and electric current is the effect. Potential difference is measured in volts, while electric current is measured in amperes (A).

3. What factors affect potential difference?

The two main factors that affect potential difference are the electric charge and the distance between the two points in an electric circuit. The greater the electric charge, the greater the potential difference. The greater the distance, the smaller the potential difference.

4. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in an electric circuit, and the reading is displayed in volts.

5. Why is potential difference important?

Potential difference is important because it is the driving force behind electric current and is necessary for the functioning of electric circuits. It is also used in various applications, such as generating electricity, charging batteries, and powering electronic devices.