How Does Changing the Voltmeter Affect Potential Difference Readings?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the potential difference in two circuits, one with a digital voltmeter and one with a moving coil voltmeter. The potential difference for the first circuit was calculated to be 3V and 5V using the digital voltmeter, but the solution for the second circuit using the moving coil voltmeter resulted in a negative answer of -7V. Further steps and clarification are needed to determine the correct potential difference.
sallyishyper
potential difference?

Homework Statement

picture shown in attachment

The sliders are at the mid-point of the potential dividers.
1. Find the potential difference recorded by a digital voltmeter of infinite resistance connected as the voltmeter V in each circuit.
250/2 = 125
6/250=0.024A and 100/2=50
0.024*125 =3V 10/100=0.1A
0.1*50 = 5V

2. The digital voltmeter is replaced by a moving coil voltmeter of resistance 500 ohms. Calculate the new readings when using this meter.

?
For this question I have tried to work out the conductance, then from this the total resistance and Ohms law to find the current. Then using Ohms law again try to find the potential difference, but I came out with an answer of minus 7.

Homework Equations

V=IR (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

"
?
For this question I have tried to work out the conductance, then from this the total resistance and Ohms law to find the current. Then using Ohms law again try to find the potential difference, but I came out with an answer of minus 7."

Attachments

• phYSICS QUESTION!!!!.doc
    84 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

#1 looks good.

For #2, can you show your steps in coming up with your answer?

I would like to clarify that the term "potential difference" refers to the difference in electrical potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol ΔV or V. In the given scenario, it seems that the potential difference is being calculated by using Ohm's law, which states that the potential difference (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). However, it is important to note that potential difference can also be affected by other factors such as the type of circuit and the materials used. Therefore, it is necessary to provide more information and context in order to accurately calculate the potential difference in this scenario.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force behind the flow of electric current.

How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done (in joules) by the amount of charge (in coulombs) that moves through an electric field. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength (in volts per meter) by the distance (in meters) between the two points.

What factors affect potential difference?

Potential difference is affected by the amount of charge, distance between two points, and the strength of the electric field. Other factors such as the material and shape of conductors can also affect potential difference.

How does potential difference affect electric current?

Potential difference is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. The higher the potential difference, the greater the electric current will be. This is because a higher potential difference means there is more energy available to move the electric charges through the circuit.

What are some practical applications of potential difference?

Potential difference has many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity in power plants, and controlling the flow of electricity in circuits. It is also used in medical equipment such as EKG machines and defibrillators.