Potential Difference: Negative Potential Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with 3 batteries in parallel and a question about why one battery has a higher potential than the others. The concept of electric potential and its relation to the direction of current flow is also mentioned. The speaker suggests studying these topics for a better understanding.
lha08

Homework Statement

Like I'm doing a problem right now which is too long to copy or paste here, its basically a circuit where there are 3 batteries in parallel, and in one of them, current is passing through the battery from the positive to the negative terminal (from high to low potential)..now I know that the potential difference is negative through this particular battery, but the thing I don't understand is why at this battery, it is at a higher potential than the other batteries whose currents flow from low to high potential...?? I don't know if I provided sufficient detail for you guys to understand it...
basically i don't know what exactly a negative potential difference means...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
First I want to tell you that positive terminals are in high potential. Current flows from high to low potential not from low to high potential.

i want to know how a negative potential is created in a power source...

Electric potential at any point is defined as the amount of work done in bringing a unit positive test charge from infinity to that point against the electric field. So if any positive charge is there then it will repeal the unit positive charge and so we have work is needed and therefore it has positive potential but if negative charge is there then it will help or attract unit positive charge and thus has negative potential.

Now in you case, electric current is mainly due to the flow of electron which is negatively charged and so you are confused. You also have to know that direction of flow of current is defined in two ways.

(i) Electronic way
(ii) Conventional way.

Study this topics and everything will be clear.

Likes ShankarMugi

What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electrical potential between two points in an electrical circuit, which causes the flow of electrical current.

What does negative potential mean?

Negative potential means that the electrical potential at a certain point is lower than the reference point in the circuit. This indicates that the flow of electrical current is moving from the higher potential point to the lower potential point.

How is negative potential created?

Negative potential is created by the presence of negative charges, such as electrons, in a circuit. When these negative charges move from a point of higher potential to a point of lower potential, they create a negative potential difference.

What is the significance of negative potential in a circuit?

Negative potential is important in a circuit as it allows for the flow of electrical current. Without negative potential, electrical charges would not have a driving force to move through a circuit, and therefore, no electrical current would be produced.

How is negative potential used in practical applications?

Negative potential is used in various practical applications, such as in batteries, where the chemical reaction creates a negative potential difference that allows for the flow of electrical current. It is also used in electronic devices, where the flow of electrons from a negative to a positive potential point allows for the transfer of information and energy.