How Does Battery Voltage Indicate Electric Potential Difference?

In summary, a battery with a voltage of 6V means that the electric potential on the positive pole is 6V higher than the electric potential on the negative pole. If the voltmeter leads are placed on the positive and negative poles in different orders, the reading will be either +6V or -6V.
Jhenrique
If a battery has 6V of voltage, this means that P+ – P = 6V or that P – P+ = 6V ?

Being:
P+ = electric potential of the positive pole
P = electric potential of the negative pole

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
If a battery has 6V of voltage, this means that P+ – P = 6V or that P – P+ = 6V ?

The first one. The potential on the positive terminal is greater than the potential on the negative terminal by 6V.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
jbriggs444 said:
The first one. The potential on the positive terminal is greater than the potential on the negative terminal by 6V.

What if it was the other way? Will it have a Negative potential difference then? :eek:

adjacent said:
What if it was the other way? Will it have a Negative potential difference then? :eek:

In the life exist a lot of "if"...

if the oposite charges repel itself...
if the equal charges attract itself...

We would have another world xD

Jhenrique said:
In the life exist a lot of "if"...

if the oposite charges repel itself...
if the equal charges attract itself...

We would have another world xD

Or as I once heard someone say, If my father was a woman I would have two mothers.

dauto said:
Or as I once heard someone say, If my father was a woman I would have two mothers.

And about who is created by 2 lesbians, who will the mother? kkkkkkkkkkkkk

Some people says that the potential difference U is not ΔP (P = electric potential) but yes U = - ΔP.

If the current (real) leaves the negative pole for go to positive pole, this means that the final pole is the positive and the initial pole is negative. By definition, ΔP = Pfinal - Pinitial = P+ - P- = U. For me, U = +ΔP.

Jhenrique said:

Being:
P+ = electric potential of the positive pole
P = electric potential of the negative pole

If you put the voltmeter leads on + to -, and - to + it will read -6 V. The other way around it reads +6V.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

3. What causes potential difference?

Potential difference is caused by the separation of electric charges between two points in an electric circuit. This can be due to a difference in the amount of charge or the distance between the charges.

4. What is the relationship between potential difference and current?

Potential difference and current have a direct relationship, meaning that as potential difference increases, so does current. This is known as Ohm's law: V = IR, where V is potential difference, I is current, and R is resistance.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electricity?

Potential difference is necessary for the flow of electricity. It creates an electrical force that pushes charged particles (such as electrons) through a circuit, allowing for the flow of current. Without potential difference, there would be no flow of electricity.