1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference

1. Aug 2, 2005 #1
    If you have two globes in series and one globe in parallel all connected to a circuit, how can you determine the potential difference?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2005 #2
    potential difference acorss one globe in series, and the globe in parallel
  4. Aug 2, 2005 #3

are the globes resistors connected to an emf source?

if that's the case, redraw your diagram with those jagged, resistor lines... :tongue:
  5. Aug 2, 2005 #4
    there are two globes in series and one in parallel within this circuit, how do i find the potential difference across one of the series globes and the parallel globe?
  6. Aug 2, 2005 #5
    ok nevermind, i worked it out
  7. Aug 7, 2005 #6
    in order to calculate emf (potential) within a circuit, do you have to first find the current of the total circuit and then multiply that by the resistance that you want to find the potential on?
  8. Aug 7, 2005 #7
    i don't follow. :confused:

if you want to find the voltage supplied by the emf source, you reduce the circuit to a simple equivalent circuit consisting of a single resistor connected to an emf source. the emf provided by the source is the same as the voltage drop across the resistor, which is determined by the product of the current in this configuration and the equivalent resistance.

if you want to find the voltage drop across each individual resistor, you multiply the current passing through that resistor with its value of resistance.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?