Calculating Potential Difference in a Charged Pipe Using Gauss's Law

• Thread starter gathan77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the electric field inside the plastic pipe is negative and decreases as you move towards the outside of the pipe.
gathan77
This was a recent problem on an exam that I did poorly on that I was wondering if I could acquire some assistance to further my understanding.

Homework Statement

A long plastic pipe has an inner radius A and an outer radius B. Charge is uniformly distributed over the volume A<r<B, and the amount of charge is ρ C/m^3. Find the potential difference between r=B and r=0.

Homework Equations

∫ E dA = q enc / ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped on how to carry out this problem, but I'm thinking that using Gauss's Law to find the electric field would be helpful so that you can then integrate it to find V. However, my cylindrical integration skills are a little shaky and I'm not sure if this is the the correct way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Gauss's law is always the way to go when you have symmetry. First off, there is no charge on the inside, so we know that from 0<s<a (I'm going to use s as the variable for circular radius and phi for the angle) will be 0. So all we really need to do is find the electric field inside the plastic. Since no dielectric is given, so I will just use E, but you can use D later if you want. So...

[tex]\iint_S \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \frac{\iiint_V \rho(\mathbf{s}') dV'}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Since I think you can probably manage the surface integral, let's focus on the volume element.

Use the proper Jacobian for the cylindrical coordinate

[tex]\int_0^L \int_0^{2\pi} \int_A^B \rho s' ds' d\phi' dz'[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

[tex]V = - \int_a^b \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l}[/tex]

where the a and b are technically different a and b from the ones in your problem, and might even be because I don't remember which direction the integral goes in.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been working on this a little, so I was wondering if you could tell me if I'm wrong.

E L 2 π r = ρ * L π ( r[tex]^{2}[/tex] - a[tex]^{2}[/tex] ) / ε

So,

E = ρ ( r[tex]^{2}[/tex] - a[tex]^{2}[/tex] ) / 2 ε r

Knowing

ΔV = - ∫ E dr
= - ∫ [ρ ( r[tex]^{2}[/tex] - a[tex]^{2}[/tex]) / 2 ε r ] dr
= ( ρ / 2 ε ) ∫ [( a[tex]^{2}[/tex] - r[tex]^{2}[/tex] ) / r ] dr

Then we can split that into two integrals. So,

ΔV = ( ρ / 2 ε )[∫( a[tex]^{2}[/tex] / r ) dr - ∫ r dr]
= ( ρ / 2 ε ) [a[tex]^{2}[/tex](ln(a) - ln(b)) - (a[tex]^{2}[/tex] / 2 - b[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2]

Does this look right?

Looks good to me. :)

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to use in the future.

How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

How is potential energy measured?

Potential energy is typically measured in joules (J) or newton-meters (N*m). The specific formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy being measured.

What are some real-world examples of potential energy?

A book on a shelf, a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a roller coaster at the top of a hill are all examples of objects with potential energy. Chemical energy stored in food and gasoline is another common form of potential energy.