1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential divider and potentiometer principle

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1
    does anyone knows how to do it? help and pls explain to me... thanks!

1) The slide-wire of a simple potentiometer is 2 meters long and has a resistance of 5 ohms. The emf of the working battery is 6 V and its internal resistance is 0.20 W. What resistance must be added to the working-battery circuit in order for the wire to have a direct reading of 1 mV/mm?

2) A slide-wire potentiometer is balanced against a 1.0182-V standard cell when the slide wire is set at 40.2 cm out of a total length of 100 cm. For an unknown source, the setting is 13. 8 cm. What is the emf of the unknown?

3) Under what condition is a voltmeter more desirable than a potentiometer for the measurement of voltages?

4) Prove that the potentiometer measures the emf of the test cell and not its TPD (hint: use the equation TPD=EMF-Ir).
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Assuming the resistance is uniform along the wire, then the resistance per unit length is given by 5 ohms / 2 m = 2.5 ohms/m.

Now remember V = IR or V/m = I * R/m.

Also remember 1 mV/mm = 1 V/m.

I think you can handle it now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?