Finding Optimal Fixed Resistor for Potential Divider Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential divider circuit with an LDR and a fixed resistor powered by a battery with an emf of 45V. The circuit is used to measure light intensity using either a voltmeter or an ammeter. The LDR has a resistance range of 250-1500 Ohms and the available options for the fixed resistor are 750 or 1000 Ohms. Calculations show that the 750 Ohm resistor is the best choice for the biggest scale change on the light meter. To find the exact resistance that gives the largest range, an expression is derived using the function f(R) = R/(R+250) - R/(R+1500). The maximum and minimum of this
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Consider a potential divider circuit with an LDR and a fixed resistor. The circuit is powered by a battery which has an emf of 45V with negligible internal resistance.

(a) Describe and sketch a circuit that could use a voltmeter or an ammeter to act as a light meter such that an increase in light intensity will cause an increase in the light meter reading.
(b) The light intensity can cause a variation in the resistance of the LDR from 250-1500 Ohms. If the available options for the fixed resistor are 750 or 1000 Ohms. Use calculations to show which fixed resistor will give the biggest scale change on the light meter.
(c) How would you find the value for the fixed resistor that would give the largest possible scale change on the light meter.

Homework Equations

VT/(R1+R2) = Vo/R2 where R1 is the LDR, R2 is the fixed resistor, VT is the emf (45V), Vo is the potential difference across R2.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) If choosing the ammeter as light meter it simply goes in series with the rest of the components. If choosing voltmeter must go across R2 in order to increase with increasing light intensity.
(b) From my calculations the 750 ohm resistor would give a voltage range of 18.75V across R2 when the LDR varies from 250-1500. The 1000 ohm resistor would give a range of 18V so the 750 ohm resistor is the best choice.
(c) I have no idea with this part! I can randomly select resistances and calculate the range they would give but I have no idea how you find the exact resistance that gives the largest range?

Thanks for any help given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
(c) I have no idea with this part! I can randomly select resistances and calculate the range they would give but I have no idea how you find the exact resistance that gives the largest range?
Can you write a single expression that would give you the range for a given value of fixed resistor R2?

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
Can you write a single expression that would give you the range for a given value of fixed resistor R2?
Thanks. Sorry I don't understand if your asking me to write an expression (i.e. it can be done) or whether you are implying it can't be done? If it can, I'm not sure how to do this?

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks. Sorry I don't understand if your asking me to write an expression (i.e. it can be done) or whether you are implying it can't be done? If it can, I'm not sure how to do this?
You should be able to write an expression. You've already done it piece-wise when you found the range for the individual 750 and 1000 Ohm fixed resistors. What steps did you use to do that?

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
You should be able to write an expression. You've already done it piece-wise when you found the range for the individual 750 and 1000 Ohm fixed resistors. What steps did you use to do that?

I did:

VTR2/(R1+R2) for R1 = 250 and 1500 when R2 = 750 and then R2 = 1000

The only thing I can think of along your lines is:

Vo1-Vo2 = VTR2/(R1+R2) - VTR2/(R3+R2) where R1 is when ldr is at 250 and R3 is when ldr is at 1500 and Vo1 and Vo2 are the output voltages across R2 therefore Vo1 -Vo2 is the range. However, trying to simply this expression makes it look more and more complicated the more I manipulate it :(

Is any of that right?

Jimmy87 said:
I did:

VTR2/(R1+R2) for R1 = 250 and 1500 when R2 = 750 and then R2 = 1000

The only thing I can think of along your lines is:

Vo1-Vo2 = VTR2/(R1+R2) - VTR2/(R3+R2) where R1 is when ldr is at 250 and R3 is when ldr is at 1500 and Vo1 and Vo2 are the output voltages across R2 therefore Vo1 -Vo2 is the range. However, trying to simply this expression makes it look more and more complicated the more I manipulate it :(

Is any of that right?
You're on the right track and you're nearly there. Let's clean up the math a bit by making the known fixed values (the LDR light and dark resistances) constants and letting the one unknown resistor be R.

##Range = VT \left[ \frac{R}{R + 250} - \frac{R}{R + 1500} \right]##

The source voltage VT just scales the problem since it multiplies everything by a constant value, so you can just concentrate on the terms involving resistor R as they will determine amount of VT that comprises the range. So as a function of R:

##f(R) = \frac{R}{R + 250} - \frac{R}{R + 1500}##

How do go about finding the minimum or maximum of a function?

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
You're on the right track and you're nearly there. Let's clean up the math a bit by making the known fixed values (the LDR light and dark resistances) constants and letting the one unknown resistor be R.

##Range = VT \left[ \frac{R}{R + 250} - \frac{R}{R + 1500} \right]##

The source voltage VT just scales the problem since it multiplies everything by a constant value, so you can just concentrate on the terms involving resistor R as they will determine amount of VT that comprises the range. So as a function of R:

##f(R) = \frac{R}{R + 250} - \frac{R}{R + 1500}##

How do go about finding the minimum or maximum of a function?

Thanks. That equation makes sense. However, I'm not sure how to find max and min of this function?

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks. That equation makes sense. However, I'm not sure how to find max and min of this function?
Have you studied calculus? If not you might use a graphical approach.

gneill said:
Have you studied calculus? If not you might use a graphical approach.

Yes done A fair bit. Done power rule, chain rule and quotient rule. What do I need to use for this problem?

Jimmy87 said:
Yes done A fair bit. Done power rule, chain rule and quotient rule. What do I need to use for this problem?
You should have studied finding the extrema of a function. Say you have a function f(x) and you want to minimize or maximize it. What was the procedure?

gneill said:
You should have studied finding the extrema of a function. Say you have a function f(x) and you want to minimize or maximize it. What was the procedure?
Ok, so I have looked through all my notes. We did this when we did suvat equations of motion. For example, we used derivatives to find the maximum height a ball can reach. We found the slope of the function by just differentiating the expression for height with respect to time. We then set this derivative equal to zero which would give the time when the slope is zero hence the height is maximum.

So do I differentiate your expression with respect to 'R' then set this derivative equal to zero and see what I get? How do you evaluate the maximum value though?

Jimmy87 said:
Ok, so I have looked through all my notes. We did this when we did suvat equations of motion. For example, we used derivatives to find the maximum height a ball can reach. We found the slope of the function by just differentiating the expression for height with respect to time. We then set this derivative equal to zero which would give the time when the slope is zero hence the height is maximum.
Right!
So do I differentiate your expression with respect to 'R' then set this derivative equal to zero and see what I get? How do you evaluate the maximum value though?
The value(s) of R you obtain from the above procedure will correspond to either maxima or minima for the function. You can either apply the second derivative test (not recommended here since the derivative will get pretty messy), or just plug in values close to but on either side of R to confirm that R gives you a maximum. Or, just plot the original function to show that there's a maximum around the value of R and so R is that maximum.

gneill said:
Right!

The value(s) of R you obtain from the above procedure will correspond to either maxima or minima for the function. You can either apply the second derivative test (not recommended here since the derivative will get pretty messy), or just plug in values close to but on either side of R to confirm that R gives you a maximum. Or, just plot the original function to show that there's a maximum around the value of R and so R is that maximum.
So to differentiate your expression what rule do I use as R is on the numerator and denominator (which is quotient rule) but is also in two separate expressions?

The quotient rule applies.

gneill said:
Ok so don't know if it's correct but I did the quotient rule on each term so I got:

(R+250) - R251/(R + 250)*2 - (R+1500) - R1501/(R+1500)*2

Where *2 is squared.

Have no idea if I have applied quotient rule correctly here?

The convention is to use "^" to signify exponents. Or you could use the edit panel x2 and x2 buttons to make actual subscripts and superscripts.

Your derivative doesn't look right to me. Maybe take one of the terms and show us your step by step work. Show us the derivative for:

R/(R + 250)

gneill said:
The convention is to use "^" to signify exponents. Or you could use the edit panel x2 and x2 buttons to make actual subscripts and superscripts.

Your derivative doesn't look right to me. Maybe take one of the terms and show us your step by step work. Show us the derivative for:

R/(R + 250)

Ah I think I made a really silly mistake. Ok so for the above:

For quotient rule U = R and V = R+250.

So du/dR V = R+250
dv/dR U = R
So we get:

R+250 - R / (R+250)^2

Is that right?

Jimmy87 said:
Ah I think I made a really silly mistake. Ok so for the above:

For quotient rule U = R and V = R+250.

So du/dR V = R+250
dv/dR U = R
So we get:

R+250 - R / (R+250)^2

Is that right?
It would be right if you used parentheses to specify the correct order of operations. As it stands the standard interpretation of your expression would be wrong.

It should read:

(R + 250 - R)/(R + 250)^2

= 250/(R + 250)^2

gneill said:
It would be right if you used parentheses to specify the correct order of operations. As it stands the standard interpretation of your expression would be wrong.

It should read:

(R + 250 - R)/(R + 250)^2

= 250/(R + 250)^2

Yes sorry I should have used brackets correctly. So using original expression you gave me the second term differentiated would be:

1500/(R+1500)^2

So the whole expression differentiated is:

250/(R+250)^2 - 1500/(R+1500)^2

So I set this equal to zero and solve for R? If so I get:

R = sqrt (250-1500)

So R=35

Is that right?

Jimmy87 said:
Yes sorry I should have used brackets correctly. So using original expression you gave me the second term differentiated would be:

1500/(R+1500)^2

So the whole expression differentiated is:

250/(R+250)^2 - 1500/(R+1500)^2

So I set this equal to zero and solve for R?
Right.
If so I get:

R = sqrt (250-1500)

So R=35

Is that right?
Nope. Show your work.

gneill said:
gneill said:
Right.

Nope. Show your work.

I put denominators as R^2 + 250^2 and R^2 + 1500^2. Is this my mistake do I need to expand the brackets like this:

(R+250) (R+250)?

Jimmy87 said:
I put denominators as R^2 + 250^2 and R^2 + 1500^2. Is this my mistake do I need to expand the brackets like this:

(R+250) (R+250)?
Yes!

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
Yes!
Great thanks. So I have got this far:

1/(R^2+500R+500) - 1/(R^2+3000R+1500) = 0

So do I now solve both denominators as quadratic equations?

Jimmy87 said:
Great thanks. So I have got this far:

1/(R^2+500R+500) - 1/(R^2+3000R+1500) = 0

So do I now solve both denominators as quadratic equations?
How come it's 1/(stuff) for each term? What happened to the original numerators?

You need to form a single expression by putting everything over a common denominator. Hint: in the end the denominator itself won't matter because zeroes can only happen when the numerator is zero. Concentrate on finding the combined numerator.

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
How come it's 1/(stuff) for each term? What happened to the original numerators?

You need to form a single expression by putting everything over a common denominator. Hint: in the end the denominator itself won't matter because zeroes can only happen when the numerator is zero. Concentrate on finding the combined numerator.
The original numerators were 250 and 1500 but each expanded term in the denominator had a 250^2 term and 1500^2 term so would the numerators cancel?

Jimmy87 said:
The original numerators were 250 and 1500 but each expanded term in the denominator had a 250^2 term and 1500^2 term so would the numerators cancel?
That may well be, but you still need to form a single fraction out of the two separate terms.

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
That may well be, but you still need to form a single fraction out of the two separate terms.
Oh I see. So if we expand denominators we get:

250\(R^2+500R+250^2) - 1500/(R^2+3000R+1500^2)
= 0

That seems impossible to make a common denominator unless I multiply each denominator by the others denominator?

Jimmy87 said:
Oh I see. So if we expand denominators we get:

250\(R^2+500R+250^2) - 1500/(R^2+3000R+1500^2)
= 0

That seems impossible to make a common denominator unless I multiply each denominator by the others denominator?
Yeah. You've made things overly complicated by expanding the denominators first. Don't do that. Leave them alone and treat them as individual terms until you have the numerator fleshed out.

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
Yeah. You've made things overly complicated by expanding the denominators first. Don't do that. Leave them alone and treat them as individual terms until you have the numerator fleshed out.

Oh ok. So I would still multiply each expression by the others denominator:

250 (R+1500)^2/(R+250)^2 (R+1500)^2 - 1500 (R+250)^2/(R+250)^2 (R+1500)^2

Then combined we now get:

250(R+1500)^2 - 1500(R+250)*2 / (R+250)^2 (R+1500)^2

Am I now on the right lines?

Yes. Again, you need to use more parentheses to ensure the correct interpretation of what you write. A divide operator "/" generally applies only to the immediately adjacent terms!

Expand the numerator and find R that makes it zero.

Likes Jimmy87
J
gneill said:
Yes. Again, you need to use more parentheses to ensure the correct interpretation of what you write. A divide operator "/" generally applies only to the immediately adjacent terms!

Expand the numerator and find R that makes it zero.
just to check with you first. When you expand the numerator brackets do you multiply by the coefficient first or after? I'm thinking after as per BODMAS?

Definitely after. Unless you want to bring the square root of the coefficients into the brackets and distribute it before expanding the brackets. Too messy in my opinion. Expand the bracketed terms, then apply the coefficients, then collect terms.

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
Definitely after. Unless you want to bring the square root of the coefficients into the brackets and distribute it before expanding the brackets. Too messy in my opinion. Expand the bracketed terms, then apply the coefficients, then collect terms.
Ok so for numerator I ended up with:

250R^2 - 1500R^2 = -1250R^2

With denominator I'm a bit stuck. I multiplied each bracket separately and now have:

(R^2+500R+250^2) x (R^2+300R+1500^2)

How do I now multiply these?

Your numerator result doesn't look right. Why not present your work step by step?

You can ignore the denominator entirely. The denominator cannot produce a zero for the function (for finite values of R). Only the numerator can produce a zero by itself becoming zero.

So you're starting with:

250(R+1500)^2 - 1500(R+250)^2 = 0

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
Your numerator result doesn't look right. Why not present your work step by step?

You can ignore the denominator entirely. The denominator cannot produce a zero for the function (for finite values of R). Only the numerator can produce a zero by itself becoming zero.

So you're starting with:

250(R+1500)^2 - 1500(R+250)^2 = 0

Thanks. Now I actually have done it systematically I got a different answer. So, I did it in these steps:

(R+1500) (R+1500) = R^2 + 3000R +1500^2
Then multiplied by the coefficient: 250 (R^2 + 3000R + 1500^2) = 250R^2 + 750,000R + 562500000
Now onto the next bracket:
(R+250)(R+250) = R^2 + 500R + 250^2
1500(R^2+500R+250^2) = 1500R^2 + 750000R + 937500000

Finally we have:

250R^2 + 750,000R + 562500000 - 1500R^2 + 750,000R + 937500000

Which simplifies to:

1250R^2 - 375,000,000 = 0

1250R^2 = 375,000,000

R^2 = 300,000

R = 548 (to 3 s.f.)

So if this is correct what have we just worked out? Is this the resistance that will give the largest range or is this the resistance at the minimum?

Btw thanks for all your help and patience. I have learned more from this single thread than I have from a month in class!