1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential divider problem

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    potentiometer question

hey there

i hate coming online to ask for help but i am well and truly stuck!

attached is an image containing 2 potential divider setups.
    i have a few questions about them, and any help would be appreciated!

a) for the first setup, A, how could the 10k pot be split into 2 resistors to give a Vout of 3v? i am confused by the +-15v source. can i treat this as if the +15v is 30v and the -15 is 0v? making the 2 resistors 9k and 1k? if not, how else is it done; i can find absolutely no examples of potential diviers which aren't grounded?

b) how do i calculate the thevenin source impedance of the potentiometer set to give 3v? im familliar with thevenin's theorem but dont fully understand the question. as far as i understand, thevenins thereom is used to reduc circuits down to just a voltage source, a resistor and a load; here i'm unsure how this would be done.

c)finally, how do i calculate Vout for the setup B when the effective impedance of the multi meter measuring Vout is reduced to 3.3K? my initial thought was a simple voltage division equation but this came unstuck when i realised that R1 = 0, therefore that doesnt work. im out of ideas after that!

like i said, i'd really really appreciate some help on this!

many thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2
    i've spent all day thinking about the above problems to no avail. can no one help me?

thank you

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    i think i might be on to something, maybe someone can confirm if this is right, and if it is eplaiin why.

i think it goes +15v into R1 = 5k into r2 = 7.5 k and -15V out. then the output measuered between R1 and R2 = 3v. ive been messing around on a simulator and it works, but i dont know why!

anyone?

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4
    i9 realise ive been being a fool.
    think the output voltage can vary anywhere between -15V and +15V; a range of 30V.
    An output of +3V is therefore 18V above the lower -15 level and 12V below the +15 level. In other words, the potential divider must divide the 30V total in the ratio 12/18. The resistance ratio must be the same; 4 ohm and 6 ohm

part a) done!

some help on b and c would be great still though

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook