1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Divider

1. May 14, 2008 #1

On reviewing the chapter on resistivity, I have come across a principle involving potential dividers. Can someone explain the purpose of this tool?

I think it is to vary the voltage so at one terminal the voltage is max and the other end it is zero.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

According to my notes, you use a potential divider to produce a pd that you want but might not be able to get. (i.e. where the supply voltage is greater than what is actually needed by a load)

You can also use it to have a pd which follows temperature or Light intensity. Also, it can be modified to become a potentiometer.
  4. May 14, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Voltage dividers are typically used to output a specific voltage (whatever is needed in the circuit) that is somewhere between the supply voltage and close to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?