Find Power in 7k Resistor from Potential Divider

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the power dissipated in a 7 kΩ resistor when Vout is not connected to any additional circuitry. Two methods are suggested, both resulting in the same answer of 7 mW. The concept of voltage, current, and power quantities is also explained, along with a recommendation to go through the calculations manually for better understanding.
luigihs
With Vout not connected to any additional circuitry, what power is dissipated in the 7 k resistor?
voltage_divider.jpg
So I am trying to get the power in 7k resistor I know the formula if I need to get Vout but in the question it says that the vout is not connected to any additional circuitry so I assume that I don't have to use the Vout so is Vin / resistor in this case 10 / 7 = 1.42 <-- but this is the resistance how I am suppose to get the power?

Im assuming this from the potential divider I = Vin / R1 + R2 . Now Ohms laws say that V = I x R so if I get the total resistance between 7 + 3 = 10 divided by the voltage 10 / 10 = 1 but I still stuck because I am getting the total voltage I want only the power in 7k I am confused help me thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Method A)

Calculate branch current : I = Vin / Rtotal. Current in R1 and R2 is the same. Power dissipated in each resistor is Px = Rx * I^2

Method B)

Calculate voltage drop across R1 or R2 using the voltage divider formula.

VR2 = Vin * R2/(R1+R2).

Power dissipated in resistor R2 is P2 = V2^2/R2.

These two methods give identical results.

Vout not connected simply means that no current flows from the Vout node to an external circuitry. In practice, you would use such circuit to scale input voltage to a CMOS chip with ~1uA input current. Voltage Vout would then be a little bit lower.

hi luigihs! :smile:
luigihs said:
... is Vin / resistor in this case 10 / 7 = 1.42 <--

what's "Vin"? :confused:

you need to use the voltage across the 7Ω resistor
Im assuming this from the potential divider I = Vin / R1 + R2 . Now Ohms laws say that V = I x R so if I get the total resistance between 7 + 3 = 10 divided by the voltage 10 / 10 = 1 …

what is this supposed to be? :confused:

Ok so is series , 7 +3 = 10 I = 10/10 = 1 then Px =7 x 1^2 = 7 ? sounds weird is this the right answer ??

luigihs said:
Ok so is series , 7 +3 = 10 I = 10/10 = 1 then Px =7 x 1^2 = 7 ? sounds weird is this the right answer ??

Yes. The total power supplied by the supply is :

I = 10 / (7k + 3k) = 1 mA.

Psupply = Vin * I = 10 * 1mA = 10 mW.

P1 = 7 kOhm *1 mA*1 mA = 7e3 * 1e-6 W = 7e-3 W = 7 mW.
P2 = 3 mW.

Psupply = P1 + P2 (Power Conservation)

Voltage, current, and power quantities might look confusing provided one of them is 1, 10, 100, and so on. The other two quantities will then have either the same or reciprocal magnitude (disregarding the decimal point). Say, R = 1, V = 20 V -> I = 20 A.

P1 = 7 kOhm *1 mA*1 mA = 7e3 * 1e-6 W = 7e-3 W = 7 mW. <-- wait this confused is not just 7 x 1^2 or why you using 7e-3 ??

luigihs said:
P1 = 7 kOhm *1 mA*1 mA = 7e3 * 1e-6 W = 7e-3 W = 7 mW. <-- wait this confused is not just 7 x 1^2 or why you using 7e-3 ??

I would suggest to take a pen and a piece of paper and go through the calculations yourself. It will be a great investment for the future.

1. How do I calculate the power dissipation in a 7k resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = V^2/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. In this case, the voltage will be the voltage across the 7k resistor, which can be found using the potential divider formula.

2. What is a potential divider?

A potential divider, also known as a voltage divider, is a circuit that divides a larger voltage into smaller voltages using resistors. It is commonly used to supply a specific voltage to a component in a circuit.

3. How do I find the voltage across a 7k resistor in a potential divider?

The voltage across a 7k resistor in a potential divider can be found using the formula V = (R2 / (R1 + R2)) * Vin, where R1 and R2 are the two resistors in the potential divider and Vin is the input voltage.

4. What is the purpose of using a 7k resistor in a potential divider?

The purpose of using a 7k resistor in a potential divider is to divide the input voltage into a desired value. By using different values for R1 and R2, different voltage outputs can be achieved.

5. Is it safe to use a 7k resistor in a potential divider?

Yes, it is safe to use a 7k resistor in a potential divider as long as the power dissipation in the resistor is within its rated limit. It is important to choose a resistor with a power rating that can handle the expected power dissipation to avoid any damage or overheating.