Potential Dividers - Help : (

• Thread starter evry190
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses a series circuit with one potentiometer and the task to find V(output) for various V(input). It is mentioned that V(input) is constant as it comes from a battery, but changing the resistance in the circuit can affect V(output). The person is unsure how to change V(input) since it comes from a constant voltage source, but suggestions are made to use a variable voltage source or consider practical applications where battery voltage can fluctuate. The conversation also includes a discussion about the experiment instructions and the possibility of a mistake.
evry190
I have a simple series circuit with one potentiometer, and I'm supposed to find the V(output) for various V(input). However, I think that V(input) is constant isn't it, because it's the voltage of the battery...right? I know I can change the resistance and make V (output) change, but V(input) should be unaffected right? I'm stuck : (

Physics news on Phys.org
For a potential divider with two resistances R1 and R2

the voltage across R1 is

V1=R1/(R1+R2)V

i know but, isn't v(input) constant?

evry190 said:
i know but, isn't v(input) constant?

Yes, but if you change V(input), V(output) changes appropriately for given resistances.

how do i change V(input) if it comes from a constant voltage source such as a battery

sorry i don't mean to bother you, i really appreciate your help
but I'm still a bit confused

evry190 said:
how do i change V(input) if it comes from a constant voltage source such as a battery

You'd need to change the battery itself.

evry190 said:

You could replace the battery with a variable voltage source such as a programmable bench-top power supply. :rofl:

No, seriously though. Circuits similar to what you describe do have applications. Examples of such circuits are; or are likely used within:

(a) Battery testers. These things can be used to test whether or not a battery is fully charged. If you have one you can decide which batteries to keep and which to recycle.

(b) Battery chargers. This one is pretty obvious. If the voltage of the battery's terminals reaches a certain point, the charging algorithm changes or stops altogether.

(c) Low-voltage drop-out (LDO) regulators. These are in nearly all portable electronic devices these days. Basically the regulator shuts off power to other circuits if the battery voltage (or even if output voltage) gets too low, to prevent unwanted behavior (such as memory getting corrupt or something).

I suppose the general idea here is that battery voltage does change a little depending on how fully charged the battery is. And in practical applications, it's useful to account for this. So often times, it's generally not a good idea to assume that batteries always have constant terminal voltages.

Last edited:
evry190 said:
I have a simple series circuit with one potentiometer, and I'm supposed to find the V(output) for various V(input). However, I think that V(input) is constant isn't it, because it's the voltage of the battery...right? I know I can change the resistance and make V (output) change, but V(input) should be unaffected right? I'm stuck : (

Is that all you were given (is this the whole question)?
If they gave a diagram of your circuit, could you please upload it?
If not, to help us understand your thought process, could you please draw and upload your own
diagram (labelling Vin, Vout, gnd, resistances on either side of the potentiometer wiper, etc..)?

Like this one

http://www.iop.org/activity/education/Projects/Teaching%20Advanced%20Physics/Electricity/Images%20100/img_mid_4088.gif

where v(input) comes from a battery.

The thing is, in my experiment, I'm not changing the voltage from the power supply.
I'm only turning the knob on the potentiometer.

thank you for helping me, i appreciate it very much

If you're turning the knob on the potentiometer, you're changing the resistance. You can never change two things at the same time during your experiment (ie. you wouldn't turn the knob on the potentiometer AND vary the input voltage, you'd do one or the other). If your lab manual says to do so you may want to check with your prof, because it could be a mistake.

Are you sure you're supposed to be finding Vout vs Vin, not Vout vs R?

According to what you have described and what your circuit shows, you are right, you are only changing the resistances of your voltage divider (potentiometer), not the supply voltage (Vin). The only way you can find Vout for various Vin, is to be able to vary the power supplied. And if you are varying the power supplied, I would do that for one setting on the pot at a time.

1. What is a potential divider?

A potential divider is a simple electronic circuit that divides a voltage into smaller, more manageable values. It is often used in electronic devices to control the voltage and current flowing through different components.

2. How does a potential divider work?

A potential divider consists of two or more resistors connected in series. The input voltage is applied across the resistors, and the output voltage is taken from the connection between them. The ratio of the resistors determines the output voltage, with a higher resistance resulting in a lower output voltage.

3. What are the applications of potential dividers?

Potential dividers have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits, including voltage regulation, sensor calibration, and signal conditioning. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, power supplies, and amplifiers.

4. How do I calculate the output voltage of a potential divider?

The output voltage of a potential divider can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors in the circuit. This formula assumes that the resistors are connected in series.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a potential divider?

The accuracy of a potential divider can be affected by several factors, including the tolerance of the resistors, temperature changes, and the load connected to the output. It is important to use high-quality resistors and consider these factors when designing a potential divider circuit for optimal performance.