1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential due to a curved rod

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

problem.jpg

2. Relevant equations

V=kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

V=kQ/r
    dV=kdQ/r

[itex]dQ=\lambda d\theta[/itex] <---This is where I'll make a mistake if any.

[itex]dV=k(\lambda d\Theta) /r[/itex]
    [tex]V=\frac{k\lambda}{r}\int_0^{\phi}d\Theta[/tex]
    [itex]\phi=2\pi/3[/itex]
    [itex]\lambda=Q/L= Q/(2\pi/3)[/itex]

[tex]V=k\frac{3Q}{2\pi r}\int_0^{\phi}d\Theta[/tex]

...so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    Yerr, that is a mistake. You forgot that the length of the rod is [tex]R\cdot \phi[/tex] and not just [tex]\phi[/tex].

[tex]dq=\lambda dl=\lambda R \cdot d\theta[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda \equiv \frac{Q}{R\cdot\phi}[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{K}{R}\cdot dq[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{K}{R}\cdot\lambda R \cdot d\theta[/tex]

[tex]dV=K\lambda\cdot d\theta[/tex]

[tex]dV=\frac{KQ}{R\cdot\phi}\cdot d\theta[/tex]

And now it's just a question of taking the integral along the arc and you're done.

The surprising result I got is that the potential is just [tex]V=\frac{KQ}{R}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    See, that is where I knew I'd make a mistake. I can't understand why it's [tex]
    R\cdot \phi[/tex]. No problems I've found online explain it either. Where does the R come from?

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4
    Just by definition. The length of a circular arc of radius [tex]R[/tex] resting on [tex]x[/tex] radians is [tex]R\cdotx[/tex]

Just like how a circle of radius [tex]R[/tex] has a circumference of [tex]2\pi R[/tex], that's the same as saying you've got a circular arc of radius [tex]R[/tex] resting on [tex]2\pi[/tex] radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook