Potential due to a dipole layer

In summary, The conversation is asking for an explanation on how to arrive at equation (1.24) and the attempt at a solution involves trying to make the second integral zero by performing a gradient and using a given Taylor approximation. The expert advises against assuming the second integral is zero and suggests using the Taylor approximation with some substitutions to get the desired result.
Azorspace

Homework Statement

I wonder if anyone could explain me how to arrive at the equation (1.24). I have attached the part of the book where this appears.

Homework Equations

I have attached the part of the book where this appears.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to make the second integral zero by performing the gradient and then the remaining algebra but i can't get to this, i suppose that the second integral is zero because in the expression (1.24) it doesn't appear. Using the term that has been expanded i tried to arrive at the integrand in (1.24) but i think that i have to make the second integral zero before this.

Attachments

• potential.jpg
    potential.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 968
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you do not assume that the second integral is zero. If you are going to make assumptions like this, you need to come up with a good physical or mathematical argument for your assumption.

Instead, notice that the given Taylor approximation can be used on the second integral with [itex]\mathbf{x}\to \mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{a}\to \mathbf{n}d[/itex] :

[tex]\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'+\mathbf{n}d|}=\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}+\mathbf{n}d\cdot \mathbf{\nabla}\left(\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}\right)+\ldots[/tex]

To first order in [itex]d[/itex], the second integral will give you two terms; one of which will cancel the first integral, and the other produces the desired result as you take the limit in the definition of [itex]D(\mathbf{x}')[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is a dipole layer?

A dipole layer is a distribution of electric charges with equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can be formed by two point charges or by a continuous distribution of charges.

2. How is potential due to a dipole layer calculated?

The potential due to a dipole layer can be calculated by using the formula V = (k * p * cosθ) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, p is the magnitude of the dipole moment, θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the point at which potential is being calculated, and r is the distance from the dipole layer to the point.

3. What is the relation between potential due to a dipole layer and distance from the dipole layer?

The potential due to a dipole layer is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the dipole layer. As the distance increases, the potential decreases.

4. Can a dipole layer have a net charge?

No, a dipole layer cannot have a net charge. It always consists of equal and opposite charges, resulting in a net charge of zero.

5. What are some real-life examples of dipole layers?

Some examples of dipole layers in everyday life include water molecules, which have a dipole moment due to the uneven distribution of charges, and magnets, which have a north and south pole that act as a dipole layer.