1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential due to a dipole layer

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I wonder if anyone could explain me how to arrive at the equation (1.24). I have attached the part of the book where this appears.

2. Relevant equations

I have attached the part of the book where this appears.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to make the second integral zero by performing the gradient and then the remaining algebra but i can't get to this, i suppose that the second integral is zero because in the expression (1.24) it doesn't appear. Using the term that has been expanded i tried to arrive at the integrand in (1.24) but i think that i have to make the second integral zero before this.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you do not assume that the second integral is zero. If you are going to make assumptions like this, you need to come up with a good physical or mathematical argument for your assumption.

Instead, notice that the given Taylor approximation can be used on the second integral with [itex]\mathbf{x}\to \mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{a}\to \mathbf{n}d[/itex] :

[tex]\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'+\mathbf{n}d|}=\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}+\mathbf{n}d\cdot \mathbf{\nabla}\left(\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}\right)+\ldots[/tex]

To first order in [itex]d[/itex], the second integral will give you two terms; one of which will cancel the first integral, and the other produces the desired result as you take the limit in the definition of [itex]D(\mathbf{x}')[/itex].

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook