Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Potential due to a rod

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1
    A rod of length L lies along the x-axis with the left end at the origin. It has non-uniform charge density given by [tex]\lambda = \alpha x[/tex]. where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a positive constant. Calculate the potential at a position A, which is a distance d to the left of the origin.

Here is what i did:

we have [tex] dV = \frac{k_e dq}{r}[/tex]

then i made use of the [tex]\lambda = \alpha x[/tex]

and we have [tex]V=\int\frac{k_e\lambda dx}{x} = \int\frac{k_e\alpha x dx}{x} = k_e\alpha (d+L-d)[/tex] where my limits of integration were L to d+L in the second integral

however the answer provided says that [tex]V=k_e\alpha (L-d ln(1 + \frac{L}{d})[/tex].

where did i go wrong?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]V=\int\frac{k_e\lambda dx}{x} = \int\frac{k_e\alpha x dr}{r}[/tex]

then determine the relationship between r and x, i.e. r = r(x), which will also determine the relationship between dr and dx.

x is the distance along the rod, r is the separation between the incremental charge dq and the point at which the potential is being measured.

4. Oct 29, 2005 #3
    so i should put r = d + x???

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given: A rod of length L lies along the x-axis with the left end at the origin.

Calculate the potential at a position A, which is a distance d to the left of the origin.

Perhaps one can draw a diagram.

x [0,L]
    d to left of origin
    r [d,L+d] = d+x

so what is dr if 'd' is constant?

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5
    if d is constant dr is just d+x, this is correct right? and i have a diagram that came with the question but i still dont see what to put into the integral or how...

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6
    ok i got it it was really simple actually.

8. Oct 30, 2005 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incidentally, it's not the "potential due to a rod." It's the electrical potential due to electrical charge that happens to reside on a rod.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook