1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Elastic Energy

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Can anyone help me with this question?

A 0.240 kg block on a vertical spring with a spring constant of 5e3 N/m is pushed downward, compressing the spring 0.080 m. When released, the block leaves the spring and travels upward vertically. How high does it rise above the point of release?

I know that PE= 1/2 kx^2
    so I got .5 x 5e3 x .08^2=16 I'm not sure where the mass comes into this equation. I also know that you have to subtract your anser from the point of release so i tried 16-.08 but it didn't work...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2
    Is the answer you got (16) a height? What units does it have? What units should it have?

Secondly, if it reaches a maximum height while initially traveling upwards, then something must be pulling it down... what is it? (kinda obvious).
  4. Nov 6, 2005 #3
    16 joules is the potential energy
    where would you incorporate gravity or weight into the equation??
  5. Nov 6, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of this as a conservation of energy problem. Intially, you have spring potential energy, which ends up being transformed into gravitational potential energy. How do you express gravitational PE as a function of height?
  6. Nov 6, 2005 #5

doesn't the block have P.E. as it travels upto to its max height; how would you define the P.E of an object at a certain height?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?