Potential Energies: Same Value, Different Minima?

In summary, the conversation discusses two potential energies, U1 and U2, with the same value but different minima. The question is whether these two potentials represent the same physics or different situations. The response suggests that since a cosine changes to a sine, the two potentials could correspond to identical physical systems with a rotated coordinate system. However, if the coordinate is scaled, it could represent a different physical system or coordinate system. The conversation also mentions writing a term in terms of spherical harmonics and the resulting complex energies in the Hamiltonian.
Physicslad78
Hi guys... I have a small question on potential energies:
I have got two potential energies: [tex]
\begin{equation}
U_1=-\frac{k^2}{2}+\frac{w\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin^2\theta \cos 2 \phi
\end{equation}
[/tex]

and [tex]
\begin{equation}

U_2==-\frac{k^2}{2}+\frac{w\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin^2\theta \sin 2 \phi
\end{equation}
[/tex]
where k is a constant and 0<theta<pi and 0<phi<2 pi. I minimized both of these and found that say for k=1, w=0.5 both U1 and U2 have the SAME value (-0.9333 I guess) but DIFFERENT minima...Does it mean that the two potentials represent the same physics or could the physical situations corresponding to both be different?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A cosine changes to a sine, so that could be viewed as corresponding to identical physical systems, with a coordinate system rotated by 90 degrees.

Oh Yeah..True! thanks a lot alxm...But i presume they would not be equivalent to
[tex]
\begin{equation}
U_3=-\frac{k^2}{2}+\frac{w\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin 2\theta \cos\phi\end{equation}[/tex]
?

Well, then you've scaled a coordinate. Could be either a different physical system or a different coordinate system.

yep..thanks a lot..One final question..If I want to write [tex] \sin^2\theta \sin 2 \phi [/tex] in terms of spherical Harmonics..I think these are related to the [tex] Y_{2,-2} [/tex] and [tex] Y_{2,2} [/tex] spherical Harmonics but there will be an [tex] i [/tex] appearing and this term will be a part of a Hamiltonian so I will end up with complex energies! Is there a way out of this. In fact the Hamiltonian I get is :
[tex]
\begin{equation}
H=i~w~\sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{5}}~ (Y_{2,-2}-Y_{2,2}).
\end{equation}
[/tex]

Thanks again

Last edited:

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

3. How does potential energy change when an object moves between different energy minima?

The value of potential energy remains the same, but the location of the energy minima changes. This means that the object has the same amount of potential energy, but its position or configuration has changed.

4. What is the significance of different energy minima in potential energies?

Different energy minima indicate different stable states for the object. The object can exist in any of these stable states, and the amount of potential energy stored will be the same.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion usually occurs when the object moves from one energy minima to another.