Potential Energy and Bernoulli

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical equation for energy, specifically the value of g in the equation. The speaker believes that g should be a positive value of 9.8 in order for the equation to make sense, but notes that it can get confusing in kinematic equations. The speaker also mentions that in common usage, g is always positive and represents the acceleration due to gravity.
Skomatth
[tex]P_1 + \frac{1}{2} \rho (v_1)^2 + \rho g h_1 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2} \rho (v_2)^2 + \rho g h_2 [/tex]

In this equation (and regular energy equations for that matter) is g= 9.8 or -9.8 m/s^2 ?

To make sense mathematically I believe it has to be 9.8 or else pressure and velocity would increase as a fluid increases its height. I think my textbook needs to define when g is negative and when it is positive can get confusing sometimes. In kinematic equations you can pick a reference frame and set it positive or negative yourself but in energy equations it can get confusing.
For example [tex] W_{gravity} = - \Delta PE [/tex] and also [tex] \Delta PE = mg \Delta y [/tex] . If it weren't for my teacher showing me that work was the magnitude of F X magnitude of distance X cosine of lesser included angle (which my book neglects to mention) I'd be completely confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
In common usage g is always the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity; it is a positive quantity (e.g., 9.8 m/s^2). Thus the acceleration due to gravity is g, downward.

In this equation, g is typically taken to be positive 9.8 m/s^2, representing the acceleration due to gravity. This is the standard convention used in most physics and engineering problems. However, it is important to note that the choice of positive or negative g may depend on the specific problem and the coordinate system being used. In some cases, it may be more convenient to use negative g, for example when dealing with objects moving in a downward direction. It is always important to clearly define the direction and sign convention for g in any problem to avoid confusion.

In the potential energy and Bernoulli equation, g is used to account for the change in gravitational potential energy as a fluid moves from one point to another. The direction and sign of g will depend on the coordinate system being used and the direction in which the fluid is moving. In this equation, g is typically taken to be positive when the fluid is moving in the direction of increasing height, and negative when the fluid is moving in the direction of decreasing height. This ensures that the overall change in potential energy is correctly accounted for.

It is important to carefully consider the direction and sign conventions for g in any energy equation to ensure accurate and consistent calculations. As you mentioned, it can get confusing at times, but having a clear understanding of the conventions and how they apply to different scenarios can help avoid confusion and errors. It is always a good idea to clarify these conventions with your teacher or textbook if you are unsure.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy related to Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This decrease in pressure results in an increase in potential energy, as the fluid now has the potential to do work due to its increased speed.

3. Can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy. For example, when a ball is held at a certain height, it has potential energy due to its position. When the ball is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the ball falls to the ground.

4. How does potential energy affect the movement of fluids?

Potential energy plays a crucial role in the movement of fluids, as it is responsible for the initial pressure that drives the fluid to move. As the fluid moves, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, allowing the fluid to continue its motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of potential energy and Bernoulli's principle?

Some examples of real-life applications of potential energy and Bernoulli's principle include airplane wings, where the shape and speed of the wing create a difference in air pressure, allowing the plane to fly. Another example is a water pump, where Bernoulli's principle is used to increase the water's speed and decrease its pressure, allowing it to flow through the pump and up to a higher level.