Potential Energy and Conservative Force Question

In summary: Interesting question, though. There is probably a subtlety that I am missing.But where is F acting. I guess in this simple case, F can act on either one of the masses since it's all the same. Let me make a more concrete example. Suppose we have a system of three particles with potential energyU = -G\Big(\frac{m_1m_2}{r_{12}} + \frac{m_1m_3}{r_{13}} + \frac{m_2m_3}{r_{23}}\Big)You can calculate the force associated with this potential energy, but what does the force represent?e(ho0n3
e(ho0n3
Hello everyone,

I'm a little confused on how potential energy is related to a conservative force. Say some system has potential energy U. There is a relation stating that
[tex]\vec{F} = \nabla U[/tex]
I understand the F is some conservative force, but does it represent the net conservative force acting on the system or on an object within the system or what?

e(ho0n3

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
I'm a little confused on how potential energy is related to a conservative force. Say some system has potential energy U. There is a relation stating that
[tex]\vec{F} = \nabla U[/tex]
That should be:
[tex]\vec{F} = - \nabla U[/tex]
I understand the F is some conservative force, but does it represent the net conservative force acting on the system or on an object within the system or what?
That conservative force is the force associated with that potential energy. Given the potential energy function you can calculate the force as above. For example, gravitational PE between two masses is:
[tex]GPE = - G\frac{m_1m_2}{r}[/tex]
thus the gravitational force associated with this potential energy is:
[tex]F = - G\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

Does this get at your question at all? If not, ask again.

Last edited:
Still Confused

Doc Al said:
That should be:
[tex]\vec{F} = - \nabla U[/tex]

Right.

Doc Al said:
That conservative force is the force associated with that potential energy. Given the potential energy function you can calculate the force as above. For example, gravitational PE between two masses is:
[tex]GPE = - G\frac{m_1m_2}{r}[/tex]
thus the gravitational force associated with this potential energy is:
[tex]F = - G\frac{m_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

Does this get at your question at all? If not, ask again.

But where is F acting. I guess in this simple case, F can act on either one of the masses since it's all the same. Let me make a more concrete example. Suppose we have a system of three particles with potential energy
[tex] U = -G\Big(\frac{m_1m_2}{r_{12}} + \frac{m_1m_3}{r_{13}} + \frac{m_2m_3}{r_{23}}\Big)[/tex]​
You can calculate the force associated with this potential energy, but what does the force represent?

e(ho0n3

To find the force on m3, for example, you start with the PE of m3. Don't include the m1m2 term.

Interesting question, though. There is probably a subtlety that I am missing.

But where is F acting.

THe potential is defined everywhere (except the singularities). The forces at any point that arise form a force field. So it depends on the point in which you want to know the energy and force (force changes with position).

does it represent the net conservative force acting on the system or on an object within the system or what?

the force at a certain point within the system (of an object)

If you start with the potential (not potential energy), then you can calculate the field at any point. In our 3 body gravity example, if we want to calculate the force on m3, we need to find the potential at m3. As remcook notes you must exclude m3 to avoid the singularity. Then you can calculate the field, then the force on m3.

Try it and you'll see that the methods are equivalent.

remcook said:
THe potential is defined everywhere (except the singularities). The forces at any point that arise form a force field. So it depends on the point in which you want to know the energy and force (force changes with position).

OK. So the force in the system I described is the net force that will act on an external object within the system given that this external object is not located where the masses are. In other words, F is a vector field correspoding to the force of gravity produced by the three masses.

Am I right?
e(ho0n3

looks about right. But the third mass (for which the force holds then) is attracted by only two other bodies.

So I would also like to say:
Don't include the m1m2 term.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy.

2. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

3. How is potential energy related to conservative forces?

Potential energy is related to conservative forces because conservative forces are those that do not dissipate or lose energy as they act on an object. This means that the work done by conservative forces can be converted entirely into potential energy.

4. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa.

5. How can potential energy be calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy being considered. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium. For chemical potential energy, it depends on the chemical reaction taking place. Nuclear potential energy is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.