Calculating the Maximum Compression of a Spring

In summary, a block of mass 3.4 kg is dropped from a height of 44 cm onto a spring with a spring constant of 1920 N/m. The maximum distance the spring is compressed can be found by setting the potential energy of the block equal to the potential energy stored in the spring and solving for x. This yields two solutions, but the correct answer is 0.142 m.
soul5

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 3.4 kg is dropped from height h = 44 cm onto a spring of spring constant k = 1920 N/m (Fig. 8-38). Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

[PLAIN]http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c08/fig08_36.gif

Homework Equations

Ep=mgh

Ep=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I found the Potential Energy Ep=mgh. That energy should equal to 1/2kx^2.

So I set mgh = 1/2kx^2 to solve for x but my answer was wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your choice to use kinetic and potential energy is correct, but you are missing one small thing.

The distance the block moves down along the spring (that is, the distance the spring is displaced x) still counts as gravitational potential energy for the block. So modifying the equation you have to take this into account will yield:

mg(h+x) = .5kx^2

From here you can solve for x, the displacement of the spring. Since it is a quadratic, you will get 2 different answers, but it should be clear which one is the correct answer.

What was your answer for x, I got 0.1236m.

Gorz said:
What was your answer for x, I got 0.1236m.

that's what I got to the first time, but it was wrong...

if you try what I mentioned you will get x=.142m which I believe is the correct answer.

1. What is potential energy and spring?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration. A spring is a flexible object that can be stretched or compressed and has the ability to store potential energy.

2. What is the relationship between potential energy and spring?

The potential energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the amount the spring is stretched or compressed. This means that the more the spring is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it has.

3. How is potential energy calculated in a spring?

The potential energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx², where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. What factors affect the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is affected by the spring constant, the displacement from the equilibrium position, and the mass of the object attached to the spring.

5. How is potential energy converted into kinetic energy in a spring?

When a compressed or stretched spring is released, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. This can be seen in actions such as a bouncing ball or a spring-powered toy.