Why is Equal and Opposite Force Necessary for Work Against a Field?

In summary, the applied force must be equal and opposite to the field force in order to do work against the field on an object. However, if the object is initially at rest, the applied force must be greater in order to give the object some velocity. This extra force goes into kinetic energy, which is later released when the object stops. The work done against the field is equal to the change in potential energy.
ViolentCorpse
Hello everyone!

When we do work against a field on an object, why must the force we apply on it be equal and opposite to that of the field? If the object is initially at rest, then shouldn't we be applying a force greater and opposite to that of the field to first set it into motion? We could later make it equal after the object has been set into motion, but the first initial push should be greater.

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ViolentCorpse said:
Hello everyone!

When we do work against a field on an object, why must the force we apply on it be equal and opposite to that of the field? If the object is initially at rest, then shouldn't we be applying a force greater and opposite to that of the field to first set it into motion? We could later make it equal after the object has been set into motion, but the first initial push should be greater.

Thank you! :)
You are quite right. If the applied force was always equal and opposite, there would be no net force and, so, no acceleration. The applied force has to be just a tad greater initially in order to give the body some velocity and then it can be reduced to be equal in magnitude to the field force.

AM

Likes 1 person
ViolentCorpse said:
That extra force needed for acceleration goes into kinetic energy, which is released when the object stops again. For "work against a field" we usually consider just the potential energy part.

Likes 1 person
ViolentCorpse said:
When we do work against a field on an object, why must the force we apply on it be equal and opposite to that of the field?

If we want to do work against the field,the force must not be equal to that of field. We need to apply a force greater than what the field exerts on the object

ViolentCorpse said:
If the object is initially at rest, then shouldn't we be applying a force greater and opposite to that of the field to first set it into motion? We could later make it equal after the object has been set into motion, but the first initial push should be greater.

True

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
san203 said:
If we want to do work against the field,the force must not be equal to that of field. We need to apply a force greater than what the field exerts on the object
That applies only to an object initially at rest. In general, positive work is done on a body by an applied force against the field force if the direction of the applied force is opposite to the direction of the field force and if it is applied through some positive displacement. It doesn't necessarily have to be greater in magnitude than the field force.

AM

Likes 1 person
A.T said:
That extra force needed for acceleration goes into kinetic energy, which is released when the object stops again. For "work against a field" we usually consider just the potential energy part.

Shouldn't the entire journey of that object against the field comprise of part potential and part kinetic energy?

Thank you so much each and everyone of you!

Last edited:
ViolentCorpse said:
Shouldn't the entire journey of that object against the field comprise of part potential and part kinetic energy?

Thank you so much each and everyone of you!
If you meant that the work done by an external force, F, in moving the body from point a to point b: ([itex]\int_a^b \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}[/itex]) must be equal to the sum of the change in kinetic energy + change in potential energy of the body from a to b, then the answer is: yes.

AM

Thank you for clearing that, though I know that much. I'm just trying to see how accurate it is to express work done against the field as F.ds, if that F was a little more than F for a very short period of time to get the object moving in the first place..

ViolentCorpse said:
I'm just trying to see how accurate it is to express work done against the field as F.ds, if that F was a little more than F for a very short period of time to get the object moving in the first place..
What is F here?

If F is the negated field-force then integral F.ds is the work done against the field.

If F is the net force, then integral F.ds is the net work done.

Likes 1 person
ViolentCorpse said:
Thank you for clearing that, though I know that much. I'm just trying to see how accurate it is to express work done against the field as F.ds, if that F was a little more than F for a very short period of time to get the object moving in the first place..

If Fa is the applied force and Ff is the field force, the work done by the applied force on the object in moving from a to b is: [itex]\int_a^b \vec{F_a}\cdot d\vec{s}[/itex], which consists of the change in potential energy + change in kinetic energy. The work done against the field is [itex]\int_a^b \vec{F_f}\cdot d\vec{s}[/itex], which is just the change in potential energy.

AM

Last edited:
Oh, I think I get it now. I'm clearly not a very bright student.

Thank you, Andrew Mason and A.T for your continued help. I very much appreciate it.

ViolentCorpse said:
Oh, I think I get it now. I'm clearly not a very bright student.
On the contrary. You asked a very good question. This is something that many physics texts gloss over. You learn by asking questions. The only kind of dumb question is one that should have been asked - but wasn't.

AM

That's really very nice and encouraging of you, Mr. Andrew Mason. Thank you! :smile:

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to release or use to do work.

How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is different from kinetic energy in that it is energy associated with an object's position or state, while kinetic energy is energy associated with an object's motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

What factors affect an object's potential energy?

The factors that affect an object's potential energy include its mass, height, and the force of gravity acting upon it. The higher the object is positioned and the greater its mass, the more potential energy it has. As the force of gravity increases, so does the potential energy.

What is work in relation to potential energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the context of potential energy, work is done when an object's potential energy is converted into another form of energy, such as kinetic energy. This can happen when an object falls, for example.

How is the concept of potential energy used in everyday life?

Potential energy is used in everyday life in a variety of ways. Some examples include using potential energy from water in dams to generate electricity, using potential energy from food to fuel our bodies, and using potential energy stored in elastic materials for activities like bungee jumping or launching a slingshot.