Potential Energy of Oppositely Charged Particles: Positive or Negative?

In summary, the potential energy of a pair of charges, one positive and one negative, separated by a fixed distance, is always negative due to the attractive force between opposite charges. The sign of the potential energy is not affected by the magnitudes of the individual charges, but rather solely by the distance between them.
pat666

Homework Statement

Two charges, one positive and one negative, are separated by a fixed distance.
The sign of the potential energy of this pair
is always positive;
is always negative;
is sometimes positive and sometimes negative;
depends on the distance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it is sometimes positive and sometimes negative; since it would depend on the magnitude of the individual charges?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the expression for potential energy of two charges?

Last edited:
No superposition requred here. Potential energy is a property of the two particle system. A single particle would have none.

apparently not then- can something have negative potential energy? I am now thinking always positive??

Sure. It's just a matter of your coordinate system, really. Consider gravitational potential energy.

yeah i see that... so would the answer be "depends on the distance"? (i know I am just stabbing in the dark now but i need the answer and can't find anything useful in my textbook)

let's take graphene's advice in post #2:

fe364c652305ecfe8c0526a0531152b3.png

everything on the bottom you can hold constant (i.e. you can ignore it for this question)

r = distance. Distance is always positive in this case. It's the distance between the two charges (there's no way to make it negative, because the question of distance between two objects isn't concerned about the object's position relating to any coordinate system, just each other.)

So everything on the bottom is constant and positive. Now think of the different cases for q1 and q2 and what U they'll result in. Then use what you discover to answer the question.

if I am only concerned about the top then it has to be negative for this case doesn't it??

Yup, like gravity, it will always be attractive. Opposite charges attract.

1. What is potential energy charge?

Potential energy charge refers to the stored energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. This energy can be released and converted into other forms when the object is in motion or undergoes a change in position.

2. How is potential energy charge different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy charge is different from kinetic energy in that it is a type of stored energy, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion. Potential energy charge is associated with the position or configuration of an object, while kinetic energy is associated with the movement of an object.

3. What are some examples of potential energy charge?

Some examples of potential energy charge include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a raised object, or an object at the top of a hill. In each of these cases, the potential energy charge is stored and can be released to do work.

4. How is potential energy charge related to work?

Potential energy charge is related to work in that it is the energy that is available to do work. When an object with potential energy charge is released or undergoes a change in position, this energy is converted into kinetic energy and can be used to do work.

5. Can potential energy charge be negative?

Yes, potential energy charge can be negative. This occurs when the energy of an object is decreased due to its position or configuration. For example, if a book is lifted from the ground to a shelf, its potential energy charge will be positive (increased) while it is being lifted, but once it reaches the shelf, its potential energy charge will be negative (decreased) compared to its initial position on the ground.