Why does this system have zero potential energy and only one degree of freedom?

In summary, the problem involves two particles with equal mass connected by a massless rod on a frictionless horizontal plane. One particle moves on a frictionless circular track of radius R while the other has two degrees of freedom, theta and phy. The kinetic and potential energy of the system can be found and a Lagrangian can be used to determine the equation of motion. However, it is unclear why the potential energy is zero and why only one degree of freedom, theta, is considered in solving the problem.
sayf alawneh
the question is : particles m1 and m2 each of mass m are connected by a massless rod with length l , these particles move on a frictionless horizontal plane as shown in the screen shot , the movement of m1 is fixed on a frictionless circular track of radius R , find the E.O.M !

Homework Equations

here we can find T and V and use the lagrangian easily

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the kinetic energy and found the potential energy but for some reason my doctor said that the potential energy is zero for this system can anybody tell me why , please i need help :(
also i solved for theta and phy but the doctor said that this system can be solved for theta only considering it the only degree of freedom ! why is that we have 2 degrees of freedom theta and phy so why we consider theta the only degree of freedom ![/B]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
oops sorry i miss readed the part which is saying that its moving on the horizontal plane XD
but i havnt figured out why theta is the only DOF

There are definitely two degrees of freedom, ##\theta## and ##\phi##, unless there is some sort of constraint that was left out in the statement of the problem.

It's possible to find a differential equation of motion that involves only one of the degrees of freedom. But I'm not sure what your professor was saying about treating the system as effectively having only one degree of freedom.

What is potential energy for a system?

Potential energy for a system is the energy that an object or a group of objects has due to its position or configuration in a given space. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object or group of objects moves.

What are the different types of potential energy for a system?

There are several types of potential energy for a system, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. Elastic potential energy is the energy stored by an object when it is stretched or compressed. Chemical potential energy is the energy stored in the chemical bonds of a substance. Nuclear potential energy is the energy stored in the nucleus of an atom.

How is potential energy for a system calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy for a system depends on the type of potential energy being considered. For example, the formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. The formula for elastic potential energy is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two different forms of energy that can be converted into one another. When an object or group of objects has potential energy, it has the capacity to do work and can be converted into kinetic energy when it moves. On the other hand, when an object or group of objects has kinetic energy, it is in motion and can be converted into potential energy if it is brought to a stop.

How can potential energy for a system be changed?

Potential energy for a system can be changed by altering the position, configuration, or properties of the objects within the system. For example, potential energy can be increased by raising an object to a higher position or by stretching a spring. It can be decreased by lowering an object to a lower position or by compressing a spring. It can also be changed by adding or removing mass from the system or by changing the properties of the objects, such as their chemical composition or nuclear structure.