1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy Function problem (please help)

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object moving in the xy-plane is acted on by a conservative force described by the potential-energy function U(x, y)= a*(1 / x^{2}+1 / y^{2}), where a is a positive constant. Derive an expression for the force F expressed in terms of the unit vectors i and j.

2. Relevant equations

Gradient vectors, Partial derivatives

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to take the partial derivatives w.r.t. "x" and "y". But when I did that I came up with F = [(2a)/(x^3)]i + [(2a)/(y^3)]j. But the computer says: "The correct answer does not depend on the variable: a." But if I take the a out, it tells me that: "The correct answer involves the variable alpha, which was not part of your answer."
    Any ideas??
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

rename "a" as "alpha" ... maybe "2a" ... ?

4. Sep 30, 2007 #3
    ^ bump

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You aren't being ignored: I think we just aren't sure what the computer doesn't like...

It looks like you've evaluated the gradient of U and expressed the components of F correctly. The issue seems to be what "a" was in the potential function you posted. Is that supposed to be [tex]\alpha[/tex]? Computer entry systems are notoriously finicky. (Curse them!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?