1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy graphing

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The potential energy V(R) of a two particle system exhibiting oscillatory behavior near a local minimum at the equilibrium separation Ro. V(R)= -(A/R)+(B/R^2) , where R is the interparticle separation.

A) Sketch V(R), what happens to V(R) as R→0
    B) At what value of R is there a minima in the potential?
    C) For very small oscillations about this equilibrium point, Ro, write the force on the particle F=-k(R-Ro), define k.

2. Relevant equations
    V(R)= -(A/R)+(B/R^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I must apologize in advance because I feel that I'm about to ask a stupid question. But how can I plot this function if I don't know what the values of A and B are?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a good question.

What if you plot ##V## in units of ##A^2/B## and ##R## in units of ##B/A##?

[Edited to correct a mistake.]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would have just taken ##A = B = 1## for the purpose of a sketch.

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4
    Sorry, I'm not sure how I would plot the function in those terms such as A^2/B and B/A. Do you think I can fix the values like PeroK suggested? My only concern is that the function slightly changes based on what A and B are. But I see that the function runs off to infinity as R approaches 0.

6. Feb 7, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you can go with PeroK's suggestion. The graph will be the same as I was suggesting.

Note that ##A^2/B## has the dimension of energy and ##B/A## has the dimension of length.

So, you can introduce dimensionless quantities ##\tilde{V} = \frac{V}{A^2/B}## and ##\tilde{R} = \frac{R}{B/A}##.

If you write the equation in terms of these dimensionless quantities ##\tilde{V}## and ##\tilde{R}##, you should find that ##A## and ##B## disappear.

Graphing ##\tilde{V}## versus ##\tilde{R}## will give the same graph as graphing ##V## versus ##R## with ##A= B = 1##.

7. Feb 7, 2017 #6
    Thanks for your explanation. I wasn't used to this method so I couldn't see the relationship before. For part B where it asks to find the minimum, taking A=B=1, I found an equilibrium point at R=1. Would it be correct for me to use the first derivative test?

8. Feb 7, 2017 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For A = B = 1, I don't think the equilibrium is at R = 1. But, I'm pretty sure that you are meant to express the equilibrium value of R in terms of A and B.

Yes, use differentiation to find the minimum.

9. Feb 7, 2017 #8
    So then the equilibrium value of R is at R=(B/A)? I found this by leaving A and B as variables and setting V(R)=0.

10. Feb 7, 2017 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equilibrium condition is not V(R) = 0. Equilibrium is where the force is zero.

11. Feb 7, 2017 #10
    Since V(R) is given as the potential energy function in the problem, I can find my force function by using F(x)=-du/dx. Is that the right idea?

12. Feb 7, 2017 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted