Potential Energy Gravitational

In summary, we are calculating the potential energy, gravitational force, and the force exerted by a satellite of 100kg at an altitude of 2.00x10^6m from the Earth. The universal gravitational constant G=6.67*10^{-11}\frac{Nm^2}{kg^2} is used in the calculations. The potential energy is calculated using the equation Ug = G (5.98x10^24kg)(100kg)/2.00x10^6m(6.37x10^6m). The magnitude of the gravitational force is calculated using Newton's equation for the force of gravity between two objects, which also contains the gravitational constant G.
Husker70

Homework Statement

A satellite of the Earth has a mass of 100kg and is at an altitude of 2.00x10^6m.
(a) What is the potential energy of the satellite-Earth system? (b) What is the magnitude
of the gravitational force exerted by the Earth on the satellite? (c) What force does the
satellite exert on the Earth?

Homework Equations

(a) Ug = - G m1m2/r
Mass of Earth = 5.98x10^24 kg
Radius of Earth = 6.37x10^6 m

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I took the mass of the Earth times the 100kg satellite/the Altitude plus the radius of earth
Ug = G (5.98x10^24kg)(100kg)/2.00x10^6m(6.37x10^6m)
I'm not sure what the G is for.
Thanks,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
G is the universal gravitational constant:

[tex]G=6.67*10^{-11}\frac{Nm^2}{kg^2}[/tex]

Got it thanks. Not sure why I couldn't find that but I got the correct answer.
Not sure what equation to use for part b
Thanks,
Kevin

For part b), you want Newton's equation for the force of gravity between two objects:

HINT: The equation your looking for should also contain a big G.

I think I got it using this equation.
Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• ForceGravity.jpg
    ForceGravity.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 569

What is potential energy gravitational?

Potential energy gravitational is the energy possessed by an object due to its position relative to a gravitational field, such as the Earth's gravitational field.

How is potential energy gravitational calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy gravitational is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point.

What is the relationship between potential energy gravitational and kinetic energy?

Potential energy gravitational and kinetic energy are forms of mechanical energy and are interrelated. As an object falls, its potential energy gravitational decreases and its kinetic energy increases. At the lowest point, all of the potential energy gravitational is converted into kinetic energy.

What factors affect potential energy gravitational?

The factors that affect potential energy gravitational include the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object. The higher the mass and height, and the stronger the gravitational field, the greater the potential energy gravitational.

How is potential energy gravitational used in everyday life?

Potential energy gravitational is used in many everyday activities, such as throwing a ball, riding a roller coaster, or lifting an object. It is also an important concept in fields such as engineering and physics, where it is used to calculate the energy needed for certain tasks or to design structures that can store or release potential energy gravitational.