Potential energy in concentric shells

In summary: You cannot calculate the potential of the outer shell because it is a conductor. The potential on a conductor is determined by the surface charge density and the radius. You cannot determine the potential from the charge and a radius like you can with a point charge.
gracy said:
Distance between inner and outer surfaces of shell is "a "
What is the potential of the outer surface then if the shell is very thin? infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thin or infinite?which one?

gracy said:
Thin or infinite?which one?
Please, read my post.

What is the potential of a sphere of radius R and charge Q at distance 0.0001R from its surface?

ehild said:
0.0001R
0.0001 multiplied by R?

Yes, at that distance. What is the potential?

Likes gracy
ehild said:
What is the potential of a sphere of radius R and charge Q at distance 0.0001R from its surface?
@gracy ,
I added a few words to ehild's question.

This is asking,"What is the potential due to a (conducting) sphere of radius R and charge Q evaluated at distance 0.0001R from its surface?"(I may also post an additional reply to this thread approaching your difficulties from a different point of view.)

Likes gracy
SammyS said:
This is asking,"What is the potential due to a (conducting) sphere of radius R and charge Q evaluated at distance 0.0001R from its surface?
R is not very big number right?

SammyS said:
What is the potential due to a (conducting) sphere of radius R and charge Q evaluated at distance 0.0001R from its surface?
##\frac{KQ}{R}##

gracy said:
R is not very big number right?
R may be any (positive) number.

0.0001R from the surface is a distance of 1.0001R from the sphere's center; barely outside of the sphere.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
##\displaystyle \frac{KQ}{R}##
That's the potential at a location just inside the sphere, at a distance 0.9999R from sphere's center. Perhaps that is what ehild was asking for.

You may want to add the following to the end of the OP.

"
The problem in this thread has been modified in Post #4 as follows:
gracy said:
Ok.There is a question.

A solid conducting sphere of radius, a, having a charge, Q, is surrounded by a neutral conducting shell of inner radius, 2a, and outer radius, 3a, as shown.Find the amount of heat produced when a switch connecting the spheres is closed.
"

gracy said:
I'm assuming that the region between r = 2a and r = 3a is the outer conducting shell.

The potential at the outer surface of the shell is given by ##\displaystyle \ V_\text{outer}=k\frac{Q}{3a} \ ##, assuming that potential → 0 as r → ∞ .

The potential at the inner surface of the shell is the same as ##\displaystyle \ V_\text{outer}\ ##, right ?

Find the potential difference at r = a and r = 2a, due to charge on the solid sphere.

Likes gracy
SammyS said:
The potential at the outer surface of the shell is given by Vouter=kQ3a Vouter=kQ3a \displaystyle \ V_\text{outer}=k\frac{Q}{3a} \ , assuming that potential → 0 as r → ∞ .
What about induced charges ?@Tsny asked me to consider the induced charges as well

Are you familiar with the potential V created by a total charge Q spread uniformly over a spherical surface of radius R? This is a fundamental result of electrostatics that every student should know. The potential created by this charge distribution has the following properties:

(i) For any point p outside the spherical surface, the potential is V = kQ/r where r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point p.
(ii) All points inside the spherical surface are at the same potential V = kQ/R.
(iii) At points on the surface of the sphere, V = kQ/R.

It does not matter whether the spherical surface is a conductor or a nonconductor. It is assumed that we take V = 0 at infinity.

Use this along with the principle of superposition to find the potential at any point in your problem. You have 3 spherical charge distributions and the potential at any point is the sum of the potentials created at that point by each individual spherical charge distribution.

Attachments

• Shell Theorem.png
    Shell Theorem.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 422
Likes gracy
TSny said:
Use this along with the principle of superposition to find the potential at any point in your problem. You have 3 spherical charge distributions and the potential at any point is the sum of the potentials created by each individual spherical charge distribution.
That's what I have done in
ehild said:
why is the potential due to the charge on the inner surface of the shell -KQ/a on the outer surface?
I think it should be ##\frac{-KQ}{3a}##(using shell theorem)

gracy said:
I think it should be ##\frac{-KQ}{3a}##(using shell theorem)

This is correct for the potential created at the outer surface by the negative charge on the inner surface.

Likes gracy
##\frac{-KQ}{3a}## it will be potential of outer shell due to charge on inner surface of outer shell .

gracy said:
##\frac{-KQ}{3a}## it will be potential of outer shell due to charge on inner surface of outer shell .
Yes, good. It's the potential on the outer surface of the shell due to the charge on the inner surface.

Likes gracy
What is the total potential on the outer surface of the shell due to all 3 charge distributions?

Can you use the shell theorem to show that the total potential is the same at all points within the spherical shell material? (Of course this must be the case, since all points of a conductor are at the same potential in electrostatics.)

Likes gracy
As ehild pointed out, you made a mistake in the term that I have circled in blue below. From post #50, you now have the correct expression for this term. Everything else looks good to me.

Attachments

• gracy 1.png
    gracy 1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 381
Likes gracy
TSny said:
What is the total potential on the outer surface of the shell due to all 3 charge distributions?
##\frac{KQ}{3a}##

I still got wrong answer.

J.png

OK. So, you find that the initial PE of the system is 5kQ2/(12 a).
[You left out the "a" in the denominator, but I know you meant it to be there.]

Why do you think this is wrong?

Likes gracy
TSny said:
OK. So, you find that the initial PE of the system is 5kQ2/(12 a).
[You left out the "a" in the denominator, but I know you meant it to be there.]

Why do you think this is wrong?

The question was "A solid conducting sphere of radius a having a charge Q is surrounded by a conducting shell of inner radius 2a and outer radius 3a as shown.Find the amount of heat produced when switch is closed."
Where is that switch?

Likes gracy
Ok.It was initial energy .
To find the final potential energy we will have to consider final situation i.e after closing switch.
After closing switch entire charge i.e Q will be transferred to outer shell to equate the potentials of inner sphere and outer shell.

correctt.png

The answer I got is indeed a correct answer.Thank you so much @TSny @ehild and @SammyS

Last edited:
gracy said:
The answer I got is indeed a correct answer.
Your work looks correct.

Likes gracy
ehild said:
The question was "A solid conducting sphere of radius a having a charge Q is surrounded by a conducting shell of inner radius 2a and outer radius 3a as shown.Find the amount of heat produced when switch is closed."
Where is that switch?
The switch makes a connection from the solid sphere to the shell.

Likes gracy
SammyS said:
The switch makes a connection from the solid sphere to the shell.
Have you seen that switch anywhere in the thread, or you could see the original figure in Gracy's book due to your supernatural abilities?

ehild said:
Have you seen that switch anywhere in the thread, or you could see the original figure in Gracy's book due to your supernatural abilities?
Had to be the latter.:smile:

Likes ehild
ehild said:
Not supernatural. (Thanks for the vote of confidence, TSny).

Back in Post #47, I suggested to gracy, that she edit the OP. In that suggestion, I added a few words to her restated problem as it appeared in Post #4.

I knew about the switch from a link to a video that gracy sent to me in a pm.

I should have pushed harder for her to give a more complete statement of the problem.
Here is a screen shot:
upload_2016-1-17_15-30-51.png

Here is the figure at a larger scale.
upload_2016-1-17_15-46-52.png

This video can be found on the site: physicsgalaxy.com , by Ashish Arora.

Likes gracy