Calculating Change in Electric Potential Energy

In summary: Also, I suggest you not use 6.41 degrees. This is a 2-dimensional problem, so there is no angle. It's just a distance you're looking for.I think I'm interpreting it correctly. I just don't understand what I'm looking for now. So I'm not supposed to use 6.41? What do you mean by no angle? I'm confused.I'm sorry for the confusion. Let me try to clarify. In part (b), you are asked to find the change in electric potential energy if the charge is moved the same distance as in part (a), but only along the x-axis. So, the distance the charge is moved is the same for both parts (
baker265

Homework Statement

The electric field in a particular region of space is found to be uniform, with a magnitude of 700 N/C and parallel to the +y direction.

(a) What is the change in electric potential energy of a charge [q = 6.5 mu or micro CC if it is moved from [(x, y) = (20 cm, 45 cm)] to [(5 cm, 30 cm)]? Answer in mJ.

(b) What is the change in electric potential energy if the charge is moved the same distance along the x axis? Answer in mJ.

Are my attempts correct?

Homework Equations

q*E*d

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) (6.5e-6)*700*(.015) = .06825 mJ
(b) (6.5e-6)*700*.015*√(2) = .09652 mJ

Physics news on Phys.org
baker265 said:

Homework Statement

The electric field in a particular region of space is found to be uniform, with a magnitude of 700 N/C and parallel to the +y direction.

(a) What is the change in electric potential energy of a charge [q = 6.5 mu or micro CC if it is moved from [(x, y) = (20 cm, 45 cm)] to [(5 cm, 30 cm)]? Answer in mJ.

(b) What is the change in electric potential energy if the charge is moved the same distance along the x axis? Answer in mJ.

Are my attempts correct?

Homework Equations

q*E*d

(a) looks right.

(b) is not right. How much work must be done on the particle in part (b) ?

baker265 said:

Homework Statement

Are my attempts correct?

Homework Equations

q*E*d

15 cm is 0.15 m, not 0.015 m.

By the way, I have to ask, where did you come up with the distance (I presume 15 cm)? I'm not necessarily saying your method was right or wrong, but there is one right way to get this.

That doesn't look correct to me (which is the reason I asked the question above).

The work done on the particle is [itex] W = q \vec E \cdot \vec d [/itex]. That dot isn't just a simple multiplication sign, it is the vector dot product.

I got the distance from subtracting 45cm by 30cm

baker265 said:
I got the distance from subtracting 45cm by 30cm

Okay, that's the right approach! :approve: You used the difference in the y-component, which is correct, since the y-component is the one along the direction of electric field. (Well, actually it's opposite the direction of the electric field, but since we're talking about the particle's gain of potential energy rather than kinetic energy, the positive sign works out).

[Edit: Oh, and by the way, don't forget to redo the calculation with 0.15 m instead of 0.015 m.]

Now what about part (b)? What's the dot product in that case?

Awesome! i was able to fix A properly. Thank you!

b)The answer from A*.15?

baker265 said:
b)The answer from A*.15?

Sorry, that's not it either.

Consider two vectors (and I'll just use 2-dimensions for this)
[tex] \vec A = A_x \hat x + A_y \hat y [/tex]
[tex] \vec B = B_x \hat x + B_y \hat y [/tex]
(Some textbooks use [itex] \hat \imath [/itex] instead of [itex] \hat x [/itex], and [itex] \hat \jmath [/itex] instead of [itex] \hat y [/itex].)

The dot product is
[tex] \vec A \cdot \vec B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y [/tex]

For this problem (part (b)), there are two vectors [itex] \vec E [/itex] and [itex] \vec d [/itex]. The vector [itex] \vec E [/itex] points along the y-axis and [itex] \vec d [/itex] points along the x-axis.

So what are [itex] E_x, \ E_y, \ d_x [/itex] and [itex] d_y \ ? [/itex]

If you're not comfortable with that approach, here is another. One can also say,
[tex] \vec A \cdot \vec B = AB \cos \theta. [/tex]
You know that [itex] \vec d [/itex] points along the x-axis (for part (b)). And you know [itex] \vec E [/itex] points along the y-axis. What is the angle θ between the x- and y- axes?

So what does that make [itex] E d \cos \theta [/itex] ?

Would theta be 0 degree or 6.41 degree? I got 6.41 by (45/20)^2+(30/5)^2=c^2 => sqrt(41.0625)=>6.41 degree. Can I do that?

To plug into that equation it would be (.6825*10^-3)*.15*6.41=10.158 mJ

baker265 said:
Would theta be 0 degree or 6.41 degree? I got 6.41 by (45/20)^2+(30/5)^2=c^2 => sqrt(41.0625)=>6.41 degree. Can I do that?

To plug into that equation it would be (.6825*10^-3)*.15*6.41=10.158 mJ

Maybe we are not interpreting part (b) of the problem statement in the same way. Recall part (b):
"(b) What is the change in electric potential energy if the charge is moved the same distance along the x axis?"​
Personally, I interpret that as saying the charge is moved the same total distance as it was in part (a), but with a direction that is completely along the x axis. In other words, there is no displacement along the y-axis or z axis. The only displacement is along the x axis.

Is that not the way you interpret part (b) the problem statement? Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly. What do you think?

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a form of energy that is stored within an object or system. It is the energy that an object or system has due to its position, composition, or condition.

What is the potential energy of a charge?

The potential energy of a charge is the amount of energy that a charged object has due to its position in relation to other charged objects. It is a type of potential energy that is associated with the electric force between charged particles.

How is the potential energy of a charge calculated?

The potential energy of a charge is calculated using the formula U = kQq/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

What is the relationship between potential energy and distance?

The potential energy of a charge is inversely proportional to the distance between the two charged objects. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the potential energy decreases and vice versa.

How is the potential energy of a charge affected by the charges of the objects?

The potential energy of a charge is directly proportional to the product of the two charges. This means that as the charges of the objects increase, the potential energy also increases and vice versa.