1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of a dipole

1. Aug 29, 2015 #1
    Hi, friends! I read that the torque exerced by a uniform electric field ##\mathbf{E}## on a dipole with moment ##\mathbf{p}## is ##\boldsymbol{\tau}=\mathbf{p}\times\mathbf{E}##. Then the book, Gettys' Physics 2, explain that the work made to rotate the dipole around a fixed point is

##\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}\tau d\theta=\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}pE\sin\theta d\theta=-pE\cos\theta_2-(-pE\cos\theta_1)=\Delta U##
    and therefore potential energy can be defined as ##U=-\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{E}##.

Well, there is a major obstacle to my comprehension of that: I think that ##\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}\tau d\theta=\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}pE\sin\theta d\theta## (where I think ##\theta## to be the oriented angle from ##\mathbf{p}## to ##\mathbf{E}##) is the work done by the electric fied while the dipole rotates from an angle ##\theta_1## with the direction of ##\mathbf{E}## to an angle ##\theta_2## with ##\mathbf{E}##, but I know the definition of the variation of potential energy ##\Delta U## as the opposite of the work done by a conservative force field: ##\Delta U=-W_{\text{conservative}}##.

Or isn't ##\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}\tau d\theta## the work done by the electric field? I would think that it is, because the work done by a force ##\mathbf{F}## to move along the circumference ##\gamma## parametrized by ##\mathbf{r}:[0,2\pi]\to\mathbb{R}^3## is ## \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}(t))\cdot \mathbf{r}'(\theta)d\theta##. Here ##\mathbf{F}\cdot \mathbf{r}'=F_t R## where ##F_t## is the tangential component of the force (positive if and only if counterclockwisely oriented) and ##R## the distance of the moved object from the centre of the circle and, if I correctly understand, ##RF_t## precisely is the torque ##\tau_z## with respect to the centre of rotation of a rotating body, therefore the work done by the forces acting on the rotating body are ##W_{\text{tot}}=\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \sum\tau_z d\theta##. Or am I wrong?

I heatily thank you for any answer!​

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2015 #2
    I have understood: in the formula for ##\Delta U## the angle ##\theta## is from ##\mathbf{E}## to ##\mathbf{p}##, i.e ##\tau## is the opposite of the torque ##\tau_z##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook