Potential energy of a spring and transverse motion

In summary, the conversation involves a physics problem related to stretched distance and unstretched distance, with the use of the equation W = 1/2kL2 to find the amount of stretch in figure b as a function of x. The solution involves rotating the stretched spring back to vertical and considering the relation between L(x) and x, and then using this to determine the required force for question b).
jskro

Homework Statement

Picture6.png

L = Stretched distance
L0 = Unstretched distance

Homework Equations

W = 1/2kL2

The Attempt at a Solution

In attempting to help a friend with this problem, having taken this same physics class under a different professor, i was completely stumped by this problem. I know that Fx = kL, but i can't make any headway on figuring out the part of the problem that involves the transverse of the spring that leads to a distance pulled of xm with the same applied force that stretches the spring the same distance. Is there something easy that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) you need to parameterise the amount it has stretched in fig b as a function of x. Geometrically think of take the stretched spring in b, and rotating it back to vertical. Then consider the relation between the extrat height L(x) and the distance it was moved x. After this I presume you are okay?

gash789 said:
For a) you need to parameterise the amount it has stretched in fig b as a function of x. Geometrically think of take the stretched spring in b, and rotating it back to vertical. Then consider the relation between the extrat height L(x) and the distance it was moved x. After this I presume you are okay?

So basically, because the work done in each of the two scenarios is the same?

Fx*xm = 1/2kL^2
xm = (kL^2)/(2Fx)

You do not know that the work done is the same, you just follow the prescribed method to determine it. I'm getting a bit confused by what you mean by

Fx*xm = 1/2kL^2
xm = (kL^2)/(2Fx)

What do you think is the answer to question a), Ie L(x)=? once you know this, then you can consider the force needed to extend the spring by L(x), and that is the answer to question b).

By rotating b back vertically, the distance it was pulled is xm

L(x) = xm

Exactly, so now you can find the magnitude of the force easily enough, the rest follows from this.

What is potential energy of a spring?

Potential energy of a spring is the energy stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of elastic potential energy that is proportional to the amount the spring is stretched or compressed.

How is potential energy of a spring calculated?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What is transverse motion?

Transverse motion is the motion of an object that is perpendicular to the direction of the force acting on it. In the case of a spring, transverse motion refers to the back and forth movement of the spring as it is stretched and compressed.

How does potential energy affect transverse motion?

As the potential energy of a spring increases, its transverse motion also increases. This is because the more the spring is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it has, leading to a greater force and a larger amplitude of transverse motion.

Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy during transverse motion?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy during transverse motion. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.