Calculating Potential Energy of a Spring System without Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy of a system without gravity and finding the point of equilibrium. The potential energy is represented by V = (1/2)kd^2, where "d" represents the additional stretching or compression of the spring from the equilibrium position. The assembly in question involves massless rods pivoted at O and two given angles, and it is necessary to consider what the assembly looks like at equilibrium in order to accurately calculate the potential energy.
greencleaner

Homework Statement

Find the potential energy of this system without gravity. And after that i have to find the point of equilibrium.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2667/img0121km.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] V=\frac{1}{2} K d^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] V=\frac{1}{2} K d^2 = \frac{1}{2} K \left( l^2 +4l^2 - 4l^2 \cos{ (\phi - \theta)} +4l^2 \sin^2{\theta} \right) [/tex]

is it correct ? i think it isn't becouse i find strange result in the next step.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not quite understand what the picture shows. Are the lines labeled l and 2l massless rods pivoted at O? Are the two angles shown in the picture assumed given?

It might be a good idea to state the problem as it was given to you.

sorry i left out some details. Firts of all the subject is Lagrangian Mechanics, after that, the lines l and 2l is massless rods pivoted ad O and the 2 angles are the Lagrangian coordinate.

When you write the potential as V = (1/2)kd2, the "d" in the expression is the additional stretching (or compression) of the spring from the equilibrium position. Your potential is written as if "d" stands for the length of each spring.

It seems to me that first you need to consider what the assembly looks like at equilibrium, then find by how much each spring stretches (or is compressed) when the assembly looks like the figure.

ok, so you are tell me that, for each spring
[tex]V=\frac{1}{2}k (d-d_0)^2[/tex]
is it true ?
i had considered this solution but the expression of potential became so complicated that i tought it was wrong.
now i retry to do it, thanks.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is often referred to as stored energy and has the potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy of a spring defined?

The potential energy of a spring is the energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position. It is a form of elastic potential energy.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is affected by its spring constant, which is a measure of how stiff the spring is, and the distance it is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position.

4. Can potential energy of a spring be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy of a spring can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released and returns to its equilibrium position.

5. How is the potential energy of a spring calculated mathematically?

The potential energy of a spring can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium position.