Can the Potential Energy of an Electron in a Hydrogen Atom be Measured?

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of the potential energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom at a given point, V=-e^2/r. It is mentioned that there are other ways to measure this, such as through experimental BE and energy levels of hydrogen, leading to the correct experimental e-p scattering. The conversation also touches on solving the Schrodinger equation with a given wave function but unknown potential energy, and mentions that the Hamiltonian cannot be fully defined in this case.
batsan
It is known that the potential energy of electron in the hydrogen atom is completely definite quantity, for given point . How we can measure it?

Physics news on Phys.org
"How we can measure it?" You can't place an electron at point r to measure
-e^2/r, but there are other ways to measure that V=-e^2/r is correct.
It leads to the experimental BE and energy levels of hydrogen and to the correct experimental e-p scattering.
This can be considered a measurement that V= -e^2/r is correct.

Can you post me some links for this problem.
What is BE? May be Bose-Einstein?
How we can solve Schrodinger equation which have given wave function , but unknown pot. energy?
Thanks!

batsan said:
How we can solve Schrodinger equation which have given wave function , but unknown pot. energy?
Thanks!

I'm no expert on QM, but isn't the answer to this question simply, "you...can't!" I mean, if the Hamiltonian is not fully-defined, then you can't solve for its eigenstates.

Last edited:
Eigenstates are known. Unknown is only U(x).

batsan said:
What is BE?

I think Meir means "binding energy", that is, measurements of the ionization energies of hydrogen atoms.

Thanks!
Of course, it's "binding energy". I didn't guess right.

What is potential energy of an electron?

The potential energy of an electron is the energy that an electron possesses due to its position in an electric field or due to its attraction to a nucleus.

How is potential energy of an electron calculated?

The potential energy of an electron can be calculated using the formula PE = -ke^2/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, e is the charge of an electron, and r is the distance between the electron and the nucleus.

What factors affect the potential energy of an electron?

The potential energy of an electron is affected by the electric field strength, the charge of the nucleus, and the distance between the electron and the nucleus.

How does the potential energy of an electron change as it moves closer to or farther from the nucleus?

As an electron moves closer to the nucleus, its potential energy decreases. Conversely, as it moves farther from the nucleus, its potential energy increases. This is because the electric force between the electron and the nucleus changes with distance.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy of an electron?

The potential energy of an electron and its kinetic energy are inversely related. As the potential energy decreases, the kinetic energy increases, and vice versa. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, where the total energy of an electron remains constant.