Potential energy of point charges

In summary, The problem involves three identical point charges in a square configuration and the goal is to find the maximum speed attained by each charge. The published solution states that due to symmetry, each charge will end up with the same kinetic energy when they reach infinity. This solution involves calculating the potential energy of the configuration, dividing it by 3, and setting it equal to the kinetic energy equation. However, the concept of symmetry is questioned as the charges are not equidistant from each other and the addition of a fourth charge would change the energy distribution. A simulation shows that one particle ends up with around 1.061 times the individual energies of the other two, confirming that the solution may not be completely accurate. A numerical integration method is
BobFroehlich
I am puzzled by the solution to a problem in electrical potential. The situation involves three identical point charges (same charge, same mass) each one placed at a corner of a square. The charges are released simultaneously and the problem is to find the maximum speed attained by each of them.

The published solution of the problem states that by symmetry each will end up with the same kinetic energy when the charges have moved to infinity. So the procedure is to calculate the potential energy of the configuration, divide that by 3, set that equal to one-half m v squared, and solve for v, where v is the speed of one charge.

I am having trouble seeing the notion of “symmetry” here since the charges are not equidistant from each other. I also pose the argument that what if a fourth charge were to be included, one that would be orders of magnitude away from the original 3 and would consequently experience far less force due to the other particles. Would the individual charges each still have 1/4 the potential energy of the assembly of four? The only rationale I can muster is that the symmetry is not local symmetry but symmetry at infinity, and I have difficulty picturing that. Hope you can help me sort this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that the notion of symmetry seems a little... well, odd to me.

It seems like the middle particle would end up with more than 1/3 of the total energy, whereas the two others would end up with the same value splitting the difference.

In fact, I would argue that this can't possibly be right. Because this would certainly lead to different behavior then three particles arranged on the vertices of an equilateral triangle, and that would certainly give a 3-way split of energy.

Perhaps you could simulate this numerically and look at asymptotic behavior to get a feel for what actually happens.

When I simulate it numerically, it appears that the one particle ends up with around 1.061 times the individual energies of the other two. So you have 1-1.061-1 as ar as energy distribution goes.

That's out to 10000 seconds. It was about the same for 1000 seconds; I can give you more data if you want.

Thanks for your analysis - it seems to confirm my hunch. I was trying to do that myself. I know how to get v from F(t), but am unsure how to get v when I know F(r); I suspect a double integration. How did you do the analysis?

When you do a numerical integration like I did, you don't have to get v = v(t) in closed form... that's the point of the approximation.

You just use a scheme like:

dx = vdt => delta(x) ~= v delta(t) => x' = x + v delta(t)
dv = adt => delta(v) ~= a delta(t) => v' = v + a delta(t)
a = F/m where F = f(x, v, t).

This is notoriously easy to iterate on a computer. There are several methods, the simplest of which is Euler's method, though better schemes - such as Runge Kutta or more stable methods - exist.

1. What is potential energy of point charges?

The potential energy of point charges is the energy that is stored within a system of two or more charged particles. It is a measure of the work required to bring the charges from an infinite distance apart to their current positions.

2. How is potential energy of point charges calculated?

The potential energy of point charges can be calculated using the equation U = k(q1q2)/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and distance for point charges?

The potential energy of point charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can the potential energy of point charges be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of point charges can be negative. This indicates that the charges are in an unstable configuration and will repel each other if released.

5. How does the number of point charges affect the potential energy?

The potential energy of point charges increases as the number of charges increases. This is because there are more interactions between the charges, leading to a greater amount of potential energy being stored.