1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of the spring

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    A planar object comprises of two masses joined by a linear spring with relaxed length p. The horizontal and the vertical displacements of the two masses are measured relative to a fixed point of reference as shown in the figure. What would be the potential energy of the spring?

My initial guess for this problem are that the spring will have a horizontal PE=(1/2)*k*(z-x)^2 and a vertical PE=(1/2)*k*(w-y)^2.

But something tells me that there might be the possibility of the PE=(1/2)*k*(sqrt(z^2+w^2)-p)^2-(1/2)*k*(sqrt(x^2+y^2)-p)^2.

Please help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Forget the x and y coordinates for the moment. If the distance between the masses is d, how would you express the PE in terms of d and the relaxed length p?

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    In that case, I would assume it to be (1/2)*K*(d-p)^2

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Express this in terms of the given quantities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted